Chapter 3 - Owen

The dense forest becomes my refuge, enveloping me in its serenity and seclusion. The echoes of my brother's accusations and the pain in my heart push me deeper into the wilderness. I have no choice but to face the harsh reality of my exile, left to wander alone with the weight of suspicion and grief upon me.

Days blur into nights as I navigate through the unforgiving terrain. The forest becomes both my sanctuary and my prison, its towering trees shielding me from the outside world while trapping me within my own thoughts. I set up makeshift camps, constantly on the move, never staying in one place for too long.

Survival becomes my sole purpose, as I scavenge for food and water, honing my skills to adapt to the challenges of the wild. I find solace in the simplicity of existence, finding comfort in the rhythmic sounds of nature—the rustling leaves, the whispering wind, and the distant howls of creatures in the night.

But amidst the solitude, I can't escape the memories that haunt me. The image of William's lifeless body and the accusation in James' eyes replay in my mind, tormenting me like a relentless ghost. I question my own actions, desperately seeking the truth that will set me free from the shackles of guilt.

In my solitude, I stumble upon a small river that winds its way through the heart of the forest. The gentle flow of the water calls to me, offering a momentary respite from my burdened thoughts. I kneel down by the riverbank, cupping my hands to drink the cool, refreshing water. As I do, I catch a glimpse of my reflection in the shimmering surface.

My face, once unmarked, now bears the scars of the past—both physical and emotional. The slash across my cheek serves as a constant reminder of the pain and betrayal that unfolded that fateful night. But behind the wounded eyes, a flicker of determination ignites within me. I won't let this define me. I will uncover the truth, no matter the cost.

With newfound resolve, I decide to venture beyond the boundaries of the forest, to seek out the larger world that lies beyond. I've heard rumours of other survivor communities, of places where people band together to fight against the encroaching darkness. Perhaps there, among strangers, I can find the answers I seek.

Gathering my belongings, I set off on a journey into the unknown. The path ahead is treacherous, but I'm no longer the same person I once was. The pain has forged me into something stronger, more determined. I will navigate this new world, not as a victim of circumstances, but as a survivor on a quest for truth and redemption.

As I leave the forest behind, I take one last look back, acknowledging the hardships that await me. The road ahead is uncertain, but I walk it with a renewed sense of purpose. I will find the answers, not only to clear my name but to bring peace to the memory of those I have lost.