Prologue

KEY

Subtitle/POV change | Author's note |"Speech" | 'Quote/Thoughts' | Text | Emphasis

Once, in a place far away and right in front of some people, there lived a civilisation of the folk of old myths. They lived in harmony with the Lost People, who lost their way in the world we humans call home. The folk of this world were blessed with beautiful weather, both rainy and sunny. On one of the rarer days, balancing on the narrow divide between rain and sun, a fair child of the Lost People made her first appearance in her world.

The proud mama held her sleeping child in her arms, her own eyes beginning to droop. Her husband sat next to her on the ground, for they were poor and had no means of finding a doctor to help with the birth. The girl's arms weakened as she held the baby. The couple knew she'd be gone soon - it always happened to the weak and poor. "Belinda," she breathed. Belinda squirmed, waking as her mother faded. A single tear fell from the girl's face as she closed her eyes, her heart beating its last as her husband took the squirming Belinda from her lifeless arms. He sat there, cradling his daughter, mourning the death of his love. Belinda snuggled into his arms and slept.

Belinda grew to be a beautiful girl, the lack of a real mother in her life brought pity from the people around her. Some might say she should've turned out spoilt and bratty, but as she grew older it seemed as if she would never outgrow the sweet innocence of childhood. Her auburn hair soon cascaded way past her shoulders, framing a pale face always flushed with purity and happiness.