-8-

a sharp dinging sound blared on Elise's eardrum. She awoke wrapped tightly around her blankets and as she toiled through the heavy comforter she realized the room was cold— Extremely cold. She saw the steam escape from her mouth each time she exhaled and immediately knew something was not right. It was the middle of winter and cold light was peeking through her curtains on the far side of the room. Elise finally managed to escape from the cocoon of blankets and when her feet landed on the freezing wooden floor she cringed and scrambled to her dresser. Upon placing socks on her feet she made her way to the thermostat and noticed the goosebumps forming on her skin. Shivering, she read the number and gasped a bit before turning the knob considerably to the right. When she heard the heater begin running she looked to the bed and among the blankets was a sleeping Oliver. She'd been dating Oliver for 2 years now and never knew that he'd withstand such cold temperatures without waking up. She climbed next to him and his eyes widened a crack and a deep blue color appeared. "Good morning," he said, craning his neck to kiss her briefly on the lips. "Why was the thermostat at 46 degrees this morning?" She demanded as he began to wake up and stretch. He chuckled and explained how he had felt hot the night before and so he had adjusted the thermostat in the dark. "Oliver, you dumb ass..." she began jokingly. But before she could finish he scooped her up and whispered in her ear, "Elise, you care so much about being cold when I'm right there the whole night." She giggled and he set her down before grabbing a blanket from the bed and wrapping it around her like a burrito. "Maybe you should go to work like this?" He asked. She studied the blanket around her while laughing. "You wish," Elise replied and looked up from the blanket around her body. Oliver was staring into her eyes and he extended his arms around her into an embrace, "I love you, Elise." He said. "Love you too," She replied. He scooped her up for the second time that morning and threw her on the bed before jumping on himself. As the house began heating up again, Elise thought happily of the sleeping Oliver wrapped around her.