Chapter 9 - Royals can be jealous too

Phaedra's pov:

Time went by very quickly. I've been at the palace for about six months. My life consisted of a boring daily routine of dance and music lessons. The only thing that really amused me was my healing sessions with Octavius and our night discussions with Alina and Marcus. During those months I managed to learn many things about herbs and remedies and became quite good at playing the harp.

However the Emperor never called me in his chambers again. I don't know why but it was hard for me to accept his kind of rejection. Had I done anything that upset him? Why didn't he want me anymore?

It was Sunday morning when we were informed of a very important visit the palace would have. This meant only one thing: for our performance to be great and fun we would have to practice almost all day. It was afternoon when we stopped rehearsals and were allowed to eat something and get some rest. I decided to take a quick bath and grab a snack.

When the time has came we put on our dancing clothes and prepared ourselves for the special event. I was wearing a red dress with gold emellishments that left little to imagination. On my head I had a translucent gold veil that covered my entire face except my eyes which were painted with black pencil.

A guard came informing us that it was time and we should all go to the ballroom. I started walking towards it with my heart pounding. I didn't know why, but I had a terrible feeling about that night. My instinct told me that something bad was going to happen. We reached the doors of the ballroom and waited. A few seconds later the doors opened and we entered. We bowed to our Emperor and his guests to join.

Some girls sat on the right and started playing music while the rest of us made a circle in the middle of the room. The music started and we all began to dance sensually. The pace was slow at first and then picked up. As I danced I managed to get a good look of the Emperor. Once again he was gorgeous in his black outfit that was embroidered with all sorts of gold ornaments. His jet black hair was flawless while his face was very handsome. He was absolutely stunning! The Emperor looked at me for a few seconds and then looked away.  As I made a lap, I caught someone's intense gaze. He was around thirty, tall, broad and well built. His eyes were blue and his face was hard with a large scar on his left cheek. He also wore a black uniform but did not have as many ornaments as the Emperor's. Our eyes met in an instant. He eyed me like a predator for its prey which gave me the chills. The man continued to watch me carefully while I danced. The music finally stopped and we sat to the right with the other girls to rest. The men were drinking and laughing. Then one of the guests said to the Emperor:

-"You have a great harem here. I congratulate you. Each one is more beautiful than the other"

The Emperor nodded in agreement without saying something while the man continued talking quietly. I tried to eavesdrop on the conversation without being caught by the guards or the guests. The rest of the girls gave no notice, preferring to devour the treats presented for the occasion. I decided not to drink and be sober for tonight. My bad premonition still haunted me and I prayed to the Gods not to be fulfilled.

-"We should celebrate our truce more pleasantly, Arius, don't you think?" the blond man asked looking at him straight in the eyes.

-"What do you mean by that?" the Emperor asked him in annoyance.

-"Why don't you share your harem with us? Take it as an act of goodwill" the blond man contradicted.

-"Yes, yes" every man cheered enthusiastically in the room giving me the chills. I didn't want to be touched by another man. My body was only for him, the Emperor. Alina understood my fears and squeezed my hand. She leaned her head towards me and whispered in my ear: "Don't fret. The Emperor never shared us with anyone".