1

The military schools' first years were all reunited in the auditorium.
Over three thousand young men applied that year alone, with only 200 scoring a place in the top military academy in the nation. Amongst those bright and talented eighteen year olds, were sons of the most important families.

One of those talented prospects was the well known son of the Sergeant Major, Eliam Stardawn.
Amongst the 200 talented young men, Eliam shone as the perfect embodiment of a young, perfect alpha.

Tall, good looking, with an aura of security that attracted everyone around him.
He was also very cordial but cold, only exchanging pleasantries to those that seek him out and not seemed interested in much of the chatter around him.
Giving him the cold aura of a cool and experienced young cadet.

There was not a single new recruit, in the military academy or in regular enlistment, that had not heard of the Sergeant Majors genius of a son.

Not only  Eliam's background was impressive. Being the second son of the highest ranking member of the military.
His family also had a long history of military and political geniuses.
Even his mother, a non military male omega, was a renowned mecha technician who taught in the National University.

Eliam had also trained in close combat since childhood, with black belts and plenty of trophies.
He was also the top student at the Academy where he graduated for his secondary education.

A genious, strong, rich, well connected, alpha. This all made him the most popular new recruit cadet of his year.

His classmates were already divided by the time they sat alongside him in the auditorium.
Some were jealous, some were ready to fight him, some were ready to lay their lives for him, and some were ready to become his friends.

And as all eyes were on him, but Eliam seemed not to care for the attention.
Cool and collected, his gaze straight.
His eyes on a person a couple of rows in front of him.

This person, was a unknown new recruit.
No great family, no impressive connections, no graduation from a known academy.
Unknown, but to one in the room.
At least for now, until the news made rounds around the room and the stats of the trials were made public.
For now, this person was only on Eliam's gaze.

Eliam retired his eyes when the director of the academy got up on stage, to give his welcoming speech.
He did not pay any attention, having heard similar words before, when he accompanied his older brother to his own welcoming ceremony years ago.
Nothing else was on his mind.

His wristband buzzed softly, making him look down for a second.
His wristband was different from the normal communication devices many of his classmates wore, and as he took a closer look, one of the young men sitting at his side turned to look as well.

"I didn't know you were allowed to bring personal devices here"
He commented, in a tone difficult to decipher.
Eliam was surprised by his words, ignoring whatever else he said, and only nodding slightly.

It was a message from his father.

"It is not a normal device, right? I would recognize it in a heartbeat"

The other young man, the one sitting on the left, spoke too. His tone a little more friendly.
The first young men huffed.

"I wouldn't be surprised that one amongst us has different rules than the rest"

Sorry, got caught up at the BlueSky base. Good luck.

Eliam did not reply, turning off the messaging option on his wristband.
It was not uncommon, for his father to suddenly change his plans and miss events. Just this one stung a little more.