5

The scenario was quite simple. A human settlement in a desert planet was under attack by out of galaxy pirates.
Some have been able to infiltrate the settlement, just as this one was being completely shut as a defense mechanism. But more pirata were on their way, and if they reached the settlement, this would be lost.

So as the only mecha user around, Silas had to both defeat the pirates already in the settlement, and prevent the reinforcements to reach their planets orbit.
It was simple, but taxing, as it was both offensive and defensive.

But Silas, after taking in the unknown territory, and the rundown of the scenario, sprung into action.
With no back push at all, he piloted the huge mecha through the sandy desert until he reached the settlement. He was attacked almost instantly, and as a breath of fresh air, fought the pirates on class D mechas as it wa nothing.
Advancing through the settlement, and starting an evacuation plan.

This was all observed in almost dead silence, just the casual clicks and sounds of machines filling the room.
Eliam was surprised, as Silas took control of the situation expertly, keeping his emotions under control. Even bearing the extreme weather conditions in a less than stellar mechas the one assigned as part of the trial.

He was drenched in sweat as soon as he reached the main control room of the settlement. It was a simulation, but even the smartest of pilots would begin to experience placebo effects when thrown into extreme circumstances.
The screen displaying Silas real life vitals started showing signs of high blood pressure, and beginning stages of exhaustion. Still his compatibility was a solid 70%. An impressive starting level, but not genius yet.

The mecha was a run down trial one, so low effort was needed for initial contact. The real trouble began as the user starting losing control of their emotions, due to exhaustion or high emotional stress. And their physiological strength will plummet, making the mecha reject their pilot.
In trials like this, total rejection meant the end of simulation. In real life, it could be deadly.

Silas, in the simulation, was able to convince the headstrong leader of the settlement to cede control to him, and evacuate with the rest of civilians.
Just as he was trying to make sense of the defense mechanisms of the dome that surrounded the human settlement, an earthquake took everyone by surprise.

The pirates had deactivated part of the system, but untintentionally had damaged a vital area that controlled the base of the settlement. Now that it was damaged, the place was sinking into the endless sea of sand.

The heart rate of Silas skyrocketed, as he tried to take control of the damaged system, while also commanding the small army of defense that the settlers had.

"Your genius is failing"
The General was the first one to comment, his voice echoing in the room.
The head of the program laughed, uncomfortable. He too seemed to start sweating alongside Silas.

"It's an imposible scenario. The npcs of the settlement have not a neuron between them, and the pirates have a death wish. Beside the mecha assigned is a class C, it cannot recompute a system like that in the short time Silas has"
Eliam commented, just as he watched Silas check on the fleeing civilians, that seemed unable to evacuate without causing trouble.

The beta was in deep trouble, but despite this, his compatibility rose some points.

"Compatibility has risen, Captain. 73%"
A technician said through the intercoms.

It was indeed, higher.
Eliam repressed a smile.

Silas was busy trying to salvage the system to maintain the dome, but suddenly, he stopped.
He let go of the control in the panel, and left the main room.
The technicians shared looks, but no one said anything.
Silas ignored the chaos around him, and he seemely wandered endlessly through the maze that was the settlement. Until he arrived to the farthest part of it, an underground tunnel that lead to another control room.