𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

the times we were falling

𓇢𓆸 𓆤 𖧧 𓋼𓍊 𓆏 𖧧 𓍊𓋼 𔓘

𓇢𓆸 𓆤 𖧧 𓋼𓍊 𓆏 𖧧 𓍊𓋼 𔓘

𝕍𝕀𝔾ℕ, adorned in his uniform, hustled to set the tea set in preparation for an impending guest. As he worked diligently, Afissa approached with a tea pot in hand. "That is the best china, for special guests. For visitors from the professions, we use the second-best china," she pointed out, correcting his choice. "Yes, ma'am," Vign sighed, acknowledging his oversight. He swiftly collected the mugs, intending to replace them with the more suitable ones. However, Afissa, keenly observant, interjected, "Am I gonna have to tell Master Spurnrose and Miss Imogen about last night?"

Caught off guard, Vign met her gaze. "What? You think I didn't notice you sneak out?" Afissa confronted the fae, who held the mugs in his hands. "I told you I'd keep my eye on you, boy," she declared with a firm resolve, hinting at a watchful eye that had taken note of his nocturnal escapades.

"Please don't tell, Afissa," Vign pleaded with the woman as he approached her. "I don't want any trouble," he said, a note of desperation in his voice. Afissa, in her stern demeanor, asked, "Are you on the lixer?" She scrutinized the male fae who replied with a quick, "No." Unconvinced, Afissa pressed further, "Tell me the truth, boy." Approaching Vign to gauge his honesty, she demanded, "Nothing like that." Vign locked eyes with the woman, silently urging her to trust him. "Well, what is it, then?" Afissa inquired, skepticism evident in her tone. Before he could answer, she speculated, "A lover?" Vign felt the weight of the bracelet around his wrist, a tangible reminder of his affection. He couldn't help but smile, looking down, his cheeks flushed. With a fluttering heart, he faced the woman again and admitted, "Yes, you can say that."

The woman noticed the rosy-pink hue that adorned Vign. "But I promise she won't be any trouble," he reassured before she could voice her concerns. Afissa nodded and, with a small smile, asked, "What is her name?" Vign's face lit up, and he replied with genuine joy, "Melody."

"Melody? The sister of the inspector?" Afissa asked, her curiosity piqued. Vign's smile dropped at the mention of the man who betrayed him. "Believe me, I never want to see that man's face again for as long as I live." His voice carried a weight of bitterness and disappointment. After he uttered those words, the bell to the door rang, capturing their attention. "Right, you take the tray, and I'll get the door," Afissa said decisively before swiftly leaving for the entrance. Vign, still carrying the mugs, hurriedly put them down and grabbed the tray, placing it on the dining table.

"Mr. Wigsby here to see you, sir, miss," Afissa announced as Mr. Wigsby walked into the dining room. Mr. Spournrose stood up from his chair and went to greet the man, extending a handshake. "Ah, good morning, Wigsby," he greeted warmly. "Morning. I came as soon as I could," Mr. Wigsby replied before turning to Imogen and taking her hand. "You wrote of a situation?" he inquired. Imogen nodded. "I certainly did. Cheswith House." Leading the two men to the front of the window, she lifted the curtain, gesturing towards the house across the way. "There, across the way. I heard someone was taking residence." Mr. Wigsby looked puzzled, and Imogen clarified, "Not someone. A Puck." Vign rolled his eyes and exchanged a glance with the faun woman, who looked surprised. While she poured the tea, Vign placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder and gestured for her to let him handle the tea.