Chapter 1 : Splitted in two

A bright sun was shining all over the great plains of Hyrule. Here, there were three farmers spraying water on their crops. There, young kids were guiding the sheeps back to the fence. In the markets, diverse activities were taking places; Shows, auctions, ect. In general, it would've been a joyful day like any other.

However, In the training field, the ambiance was electric. Soldiers were training with much more discipline, driven by a feeling of rivalry. Indeed, the field was divided in two, each occupied by one kind of soldier. On the west side were half a hundred soldiers training against each other, exchanging tips and tricks.

On the east side, seventy-five new soldiers were training together, planning together and encouraging synergy. The two groups were polar opposites. The first one's soldiers were mostly focused on their individual skills or by working as a duo. The other group's soldiers were instead interested in working as a team where each role is important.

They were also different physically; The older of the two groups was primarily composed of young folks that grew up training for years. They also wore gray-colored armor. The newer group was composed of stronger adults without showing any of the used methods by the older one. Their armors were light-blue-colored. Speaking of which, both groups were called with self-explanatory titles : The Old Militia and the New Militia.

Larcan informed himself about the other group and learned that King Magnus Hyrule assembled them to ''support'' the current army. However, when he told his brothers-in-arms what he knew, all of them concluded the same thing: Magnus was trying to overshadow the Old Militia in favor of the new one.

It wasn't hard to find out either. A few months ago, the king ordered twenty-one builders to create another barrack without giving any explanation. It was bigger, larger and more spacious than the already present one. Magnus also commanded plenty of brand new weapons from blacksmiths through the different marketplaces.

*****

Two of the most promising soldiers of the Old militia were fiercely training in a duel. The one with dark hair was mixing the training he learned for four years with his sense of improvisation to create a hardly readable moveset. His opponent wearing brown hair was mostly relying on the techniques he memorized ever since he could. Both of them had been able to train against each other for a couple of months and enjoyed practicing together. Being only 1 year apart, they really grew on each other's back.

Luminex feinted an upward attack, expecting Rodrek to fall for it. The latter thought too late and could only raise his round shield above him. Luminex retracted his arm and tackled his opponent with all his weight. Both fell on the ground, one on top of the other.

Luminex : Gotcha! Seriously, you fell for that? C'mon Rodrek, I thought you'd be more reactive.

Rodrek : Sorry Lum', I'm clearly under your level, both practically and figuratively...

Luminex got up, lent a hand to his partner, who accepted. They both got back up, placed their swords in their belts and looked around. There seemed to be less soldiers on their side of the training field. Larcan was passing by. His walking seemed a bit slower. After all, he was now 58, an advanced age for a soldier. It was rather impressive of him to keep his function instead of retiering.

Luminex : Hey, Larcan! How are you doing?

Larcan : Not very well, I'm afraid. I've spoken with the king and he is putting me behind. He keeps saying both militias will be treated equally, and he evades any other questions on the matter. I'm not very confident for the day we'll have to team up with the New Militia... I can't take them, really.

Rodrek : Let's change a bit of subject. Do you happen to know where all the others went?

Larcan looked around, confirming his ignorance about the situation. His gaze stopped on the other side of the training field.