Chapter 6 : Failure of a putsch

Luminex was walking back and forth, looking in the distance. The sun was high and he started to feel anxious. What if Rodrek fell in a trap planned by Ganondorf? What if he never got to him in the first place? Another possibility would be that Rodrek bailed on the Old Militia...

No, that wouldn't be possible. Luminex stopped this flow of negative thoughts. He knew deep down that Rodrek was fully able to act on his own, yet he couldn't stop himself to be worried. Had he ever felt this concerned for Rodrek's well-being? They've always performed their duty together, so it could morally make sense...

Finally, he saw in the distance two figures, seemingly walking towards him and by extent, the barracks. Luminex turned around and jogged to the Old Militia's barrack. The grey stone was shining due to the sun's reflection. He opened the door and spoke before seeing clearly what was going on.

Luminex : They're coming! Rodrek's back with-

He felt like he interrupted an important meeting. All of the Old Militia's soldier encircled Larcan in a semicircle, then simultaneously turned their heads toward Luminex, who felt like an intruder. Larcan pinched his nose and exhaled deeply.

Larcan : Why did you have to arrive when I practically finished, Luminex?

Luminex : Finished what?

Larcan : I won't explain everything again, I'm tolerant, but not that much. Anyway, Luminex, I hope you're good at deducing, 'cause to make it short, we were talking about a plan... What was your reason of getting here in such a hurry?

Luminex : Rodrek's arriving with Dragmire. He actually got to him and convinced him to get to the castle.

Larcan frowned and sighed. He explained his plan to all the other soldiers, while secretly hoping he wouldn't have to carry it out. Unfortunately, it seemed like he would have to.

Larcan : All right, any questions before we escort the bloodthirsty degenerate to the castle?

One soldier raised his hand. He was holding a spear aiming straight at the ceiling.

Spearman : What if things go south? Where do we go?

Luminex wanted to ask what the plan they talked about was, but one look at Larcan's concerned expression made him understand it was a bad idea. The captain closed his eyes, thinking about a place to take refuge.

Larcan : ... If things get out of hand, reunite at Frostenbeït. Don't worry, it's my hometown, the villagers will understand. Anything else?... No? Then let's roll.

In a matter of seconds, the entire barrack was empty, as well as the weapon racks. Only remained the barrels of food and water, chairs, beds and the large table. Larcan knew he'd miss this place. The food would rot, the water would stagnate and the wooden furniture would turn into relics of the past. Yet, he had to move on, and he wished his brothers-in-arms to do the same.

When Rodrek and Ganondorf got to the training field, The entirety of the Old Militia's effective were cornering them, ready to engage at any unnusual move from the Gerudo. Larcan supported Ganondorf's gaze and the latter could only give the shadow of a grin. Everyone present noticed that the height difference between Larcan and Ganondorf didn't made the first feel intimidated.

Larcan : Things won't go the way you think, Dragmire, no matter what that crazy mind of yours had planned.

 Ganondorf : Oh, I don't care what way things will go, because I know deep down they'll end up the very same way...

In the meantime, Rodrek left the group and was quickly joined by Luminex.

Luminex : Rodrek! What h-

He interrupted himself before speaking any further. He remembered how cold Rodrek was and didn't wanted to drown him with questions.