Chapter 3: Cienna

I ran back towards the house with tears running down my cheeks. Westin kissed me!

I felt bad for running away, but I haven't even been here for one day! Or maybe I have, I was out cold for a while.

I could hear Westin yelling after me and to be honest, I kind of wanted him to catch me. My back was burning and it felt like I was going to crumble to my knees at any second.

I felt a large hand on my shoulder when I reached the barn. "Honey, are you okay?" Darla.

I couldn't tell her that Westin kissed me. That wouldn't be good for Westin. "I just had to get back here and get some ice. My back is hurting me." I said. "Well where's Westin?" she asked. "He's um... Putting out our fire! He should be catching up any moment." I lied. This farm boy was ruining my queen potential.

He was just some boy. He didn't even know I was a princess, soon to be queen. He just fell in love with me for my looks, just like every other boy.

Royalty is everything and even if I'm not back home, I still need to act like a queen. Which means not letting Westin get in my way. I need to avoid him at all costs! No interaction whatsoever.

Westin came bursting out into the yard. "What were you doing? The fire shoulda been your last priority if Cienna's back was hurting her!" Darla scolded him. "Sorry, Mom." Westin choked out.

I could tell he wanted to be alone with me to apologize. Nope. No interaction, remember? I turned away from his gaze and limped to the house. I could hear Darla yelling at him to follow me and help me. Oh my goodness, Darla, you're only making this harder for me!

I limped faster to get away from Westin, knowing that he'd try to help me. He caught up and put his hand on my elbow. I jerked away and tried to break into a run. But that wasn't a success. It only made the pain more intense.

"Come on, Cienna. Let me help you. You don't have to talk to me, look at me, anything. But you're in pain so let me help." Westin pleaded. I sighed. He took that as a yes and grabbed my arm.

He put his arm around my neck and an arm in the crook of my knees. What was he doing? Suddenly, my feet weren't on the ground anymore. I was in Westin's arms and he was cradling me like a baby.

"Put me down!" I screamed. I started to kick and claw at him. He just kept carrying me. I didn't think he knew that his face was bleeding from my fingernails.

When we were in the house, Westin put me softly back on my feet. I grabbed his hand and sat him down on the stool in the kitchen. "What is it?" he asked. I didn't answer him.

I wetted a cloth in the sink and walked back around the counter to Westin. I dabbed his cheek and showed him the red stain.

He took the cloth and dabbed his face. "Thanks." he said. I smiled. "Sorry for scratching you." I replied softly. "It's alright." he said. We sat there together quietly, sometimes catching each others eyes and looking away quickly.

"Cienna?" Westin said. I looked at him. "Why did you freak out when I kissed you?" he asked. I wasn't allowed to tell him about my royal status back home, so I said, "Because we barely know each other. I felt like I was being taken advantage of." I said.

Westin looked down at his shoes. "I'm sorry I made you feel that way. But I would never take advantage of you." he said softly. I gave him a half smile.

"Shouldn't you be lying down?" he asked after a minute. "My wound is on my back, Westin." I said. He laughed. "Oh, I forgot. Well are you hungry?" he asked. "No. We just ate dinner remember?" I said. "Oh, forgot that, too. So um, do you want to watch a movie?" he asked. "No thank you, I think I'm going to go outside with Darla. Thank you, though." I said.

I stood up and went back out the door. I could feel Westin burning holes in the back of my head with his stare. He's pulling me back into his trance. Am I falling in love already? No, I couldn't be.

I can't fall in love. I just can't. Royalty is first. Westin is just an obstacle. That's all he is.

A sweet, handsome, caring obstacle.