04

Lucas' POV

I stirred awake the next morning when someone caressed my face. "What the—" I looked up and see my mom, in the flesh.

"Hey, Lu." She had been crying.

"Mom?!" I throw my arms around her, trying my best not to groan at the sharp pain that I felt when I moved.

"Sweetie, what happened to you?" She asked, panic in her hazel eyes—eyes that I had inherited from her.

"It's fine." I tell her, hugging her tightly.

I never wanted to let her go again.

"No it's not." She said. "Who did this to you?"

I pull out of the hug and look her in the eyes. "Some douchebags from school." Well, a douchebag from school.

"Those bastards!" She seethed. "Did they get suspended? Or expelled?"

"Yes, it's all been dealt with." I lied straight to her face. The last thing I needed was to make this a big thing. I mean, if I threw Bryson under the bus, who's to say he won't pull a uno reverse and tell everyone my big fat secret? I couldn't risk it.

"Good." She said.

"I'm so happy you're here." I smiled, throwing my arms around her once again. "I've missed you."

"I missed you too, sweetie." Mom says.

When the hug ended, I lie back down in my bed. I was physically exhausted.

"What would you like for breakfast?" Mom asked me.

"I'm not that hungry." I tell her.

"Nonsense." She started towards the door. "I'll go and whip up some bacon and waffles."

"Okay..." I tried to get up out of bed, but I couldn't seem to muster the energy so I just slumped back down.

I'll try again in a few minutes.

I couldn't believe that mom was back! And all it took was for me to get beat up and call her up crying like a little bitch.

Moments later, the smell of bacon wafted in from downstairs. I managed to get out of bed and slowly made my way towards the divine smell.

Mom is dancing and singing around the kitchen as she prepared two plates of waffles and bacon. She was one of those people who thought that they could sing, even though they clearly could not.

Sorry mom.

She stops dancing and singing when she sees me. "Sweetie, what are you doing out of bed? I could have brought breakfast upstairs."

"Mom, I'm okay." I lied.

My body was still aching.

I take a seat at the table and watched as my mom brought over two plates, setting one down before me. Eagerly, I dug in.

Mom takes a seat next to me. "Did I tell you about my travels in Scotland?" She asked.

I shake my head in response.

"Well, it's amazing up there, truly. You'll have to come with me next time."

I was happy to hear about her travels, well, as much as I could be without feeling left out. But all I was wondering was when she would leave again, and where would she go? How long would she be away the next time?

The front door opens abruptly, startling me to my core. I dreaded that perhaps it would have been Bryson, but, my heart settled in my chest when I saw Tori's head pop in.