Magic Twins

(Prologue)

"Do not make a sound." Ava hissed quietly in the darkness.

They were standing in their wardrobe together, holding hands in the darkness... Ava's hand felt slightly clammy as Mia tried to steady her ragged breathing.

Suddenly there was footsteps as somebody entered their bedroom, but as soon as they came the person turned around and vanished..

"Is it safe?"

As if to answer Mia's question, a loud bang rang through the house which caused Ava's grip on her hand to tighten, and their hearts hammered in their chests.

The front door was slammed shut and the terrified twins slowly stepped out of their old wardrobe, and Mia suddenly noticed how scared Ava looked.

"What was that bang?" Mia asked quietly, her voice shaking.

Ava's bright green eyes met her sisters, "I don't know..." she whispered.

They carefully crept through the house they had grown up in... It was eerily silent now, and Mia couldn't help but jump every time she thought she saw something move in the shadows.

Ava gave Mia's shaking hand a gentle, reassuring squeeze as they ended up right in front of their parents bedroom door...

"Should we knock?"

Ava nodded slightly, and without saying a word she lifted up her pale fist, readying herself to knock on the wooden door... When she did, the noise seemed to echo loudly throughout the large house...

There was no answer, "Something's wrong..." Ava said in a hushed tone. Mia placed her still shaking hand on the door handle and was about to open it when Ava shook her head, "I'll go first." she told Mia, her green eyes wide.

She slowly let go of her sisters hand and placed hers on the door handle, and with one last determined look at Mia, she opened the door and stepped in.

Mia listened as a quiet thud sounded from the room, and as she entered she saw that Ava was on her knees, her slim form shaking slightly...

"Ava?" Mia whispered.

Her twin sister let out a sob, "They're dead..." was the only reply she received.

As Mia looked beyond my sister, she suddenly became aware of the two still forms lying on the ground in front of her... She let out a strangled sob, and collapsed onto the hard, unforgiving ground...

***