Chapter Nine

It had been roughly five minutes since Thomas left the group. Chuck and Thea spoke about anything, it could be the weather, which Gladers they like and don't like, it didn't matter they would find something to talk about.
   "What the bloody hell are you two going on about?" Newt asked.
   "We're on about which Gladers we like and which we don't like." Thea explained. "Wanna join?"
   "Um, not really." He said, going back to cutting the tree. Before anyone else could say anything a ludicrous scream interrupted everyone's work. It was Thomas. He was screaming being chased by Ben. Everyone ran over to help.
   "I'm gonna kill you!" Ben screamed, crazed, erratic, maniacal. Newt hit him across the head with a shovel and pinned him down to the floor. Ben's arms and legs flung around trying to break loose.
   "Hold him down!" Alby screamed. "What the hell happened?"
   "He just attacked me!" Thomas screamed, terrified and confused. Breathing heavily, panting like a dog.
   "Lift his shirt." Alby announced. Everyone just stared at him knowing what that meant. "Lift his shirt!" He screamed this time. As Newt pinned him down Gally lifted his shirt. When he lifted it, it revealed a stab-like wound, it looked as if it was turning purple and black, it looked dried up and crumbly, veins popping out all around the wound.
   "He's been stung? In the middle of the day?" Thea questioned. Everyone stared in shock.
   "Med-jack!" Alby called. Newt and Gally picked up Ben and took him to the hut the Med-jack's worked in as they followed. Thomas went up to Thea to ask her about what just happened.
   "So, what was that?" He asked. Clearly confused and scared. He knew this place wasn't normal but he never expected something like that.
   "It's called 'The Changing.' It's what happens when someone gets stung." Thea explained. Alby walked over to Thomas to question him about Ben.
   "Thomas, listen, Ben is dangerous so I need you to be completely honest. What did he say to you?" Alby said straight faced, stressed.
   "He said he saw me... and that this was all my fault. How could this be my fault?" He said, starting to tear up.
   "Get some rest." Alby said.
   "Alby, what's gonna happen to him?" Thomas asked. Alby just continued walking away, dogging the question, not wanting to think about it. Thea then also walks away to try and find Newt. She found him walking out of the med-jacks hut.
   "Thea! Babe!" He screamed at the sight of her. "Oh my god! How do you think this happened?" He asked, shocked. When he reached her he pulled her straight into a hug.
   "I don't know, but I do know that I'm not excited for the banishing." She answered, while still hugging him. She pulled away from him after answering.
   "I'm not excited either. Even though we weren't that close to Ben I don't think anyone would wanna see a fellow Glader get banished." He agreed. "Well anyway we better get ready for it, get our sticks and gather around the Maze walls, they're banishing him soon." He said. They both walked away to get ready for the dreaded event.

Everyone is gathered around the Maze entrance, awaiting the abhorrent banishing. Everyone then spots Ben being dragged over by two boys. The group of people then separate leaving a gap for them to come through. They then proceeded to drag Ben through the Gladers. The group closed the gap as they walked through. When the two boys reached the centre of everyone they dropped Ben on the floor and walked away.
   "Please, Alby, Minho, please don't do this. Let me explain." Ben pleaded. Nobody listened, they knew what they had to do.
   "Poles!" Alby shouted. Everyone holding a pole then lowered it towards Ben.
   "Move in! Push him in!" Alby shouted again. Everyone complied and started moving in towards Ben. Pushing him into the almost closed Maze doors. They pushed until he was finally inside the Maze. They pushed him inside just before the doors closed. You could still hear his cries although the Maze doors were closed.
   "He belongs to the Maze now."