☠ CHAPTER 05 ☠

We walk for almost half an hour through narrow passageways that wind and branch again and again

We walk for almost half an hour through narrow passageways that wind and branch again and again. Only those who know the correct course are able to navigate the cave without getting lost. I pay attention along the route looking for marks or signs that indicate the ideal route. And I can't find them, perhaps because they are well camouflaged or because these guards know perfectly where to move. Or, perhaps, the sound of water is the key.

There are no torches or stones or metals that shine among the natural formation, only humidity and some fungi that grow between the corners. Some muddy puddles are proof that the liquid seeps through the earth from time to time and reaches the interior of the cave.

What I do discover is a couple of improvised beams and columns that reinforce certain weaker sectors; Maybe they have had accidents in the past or fear being buried in a natural disaster.

I wonder if the roads we don't take lead somewhere they don't want us to see, to other exits, or if they're just dead ends.

"We're arriving," says the guard carrying the torch, without turning around.

A few steps later, the cave opens and gives way to what, I assume, is the heart. To the right, a small side waterfall constantly generates sound; It sounds much louder here thanks to the acoustics of the place.

The space is huge and is lit with a mix of large candles and metallic stones that reflect the light; Maybe they took them from the tunnels and that's why I haven't seen any others along the way. I don't remember what that metal is called, but I have seen it in the past, the memory is hazy.

Against one of the sides there are wooden barrels with unlit torches and what is required to light them. About twenty people move from one side to the other, without paying attention to us. They enter and leave tents, carrying wooden boxes and food. No one speaks, not even the children who are sitting on the floor, in front of a map torn into pieces that they are trying to put back together.

The guard leads us to the only stable construction, a small cabin at the back of the heart of the cave. He greets other local residents with gestures as we walk.

"Wait here," he asks in a whisper and enters the building.

I cast a curious glance at the necromancer, his hands are clenched into fists, trembling. He does not trust whoever will receive us and is afraid that something will go wrong in his negotiations. We do not know the way to the exit, the tunnels branch several times and there are no clear markings on which route to take. We could be trapped, escaping from this place would be almost impossible.

I open my mouth to say something, but the guard returns and motions for us to enter the cabin. Following my master's orders, I stay silent once again.

We cross the threshold slowly, the wood of the floor creaking under our feet in a deafening screech that bounces off the walls of the cave. There are no lights inside, nor any furniture in sight. At least, from where we are. A thick curtain of dark fabric separates this room from the next.