Part 9

Matty told you he'd messaged Taylor Swift, asking her to come to perform at one of their shows in London. You attempted to not let on how quickly your heart was beating, but he caught the stressed expression that crossed your face. Occasionally you'd forget that the band had some form of infamy and rotated in the same circles as your favorite musicians.

After telling you she had said yes, you were in planning mode, arranging her rider requests and booking extra dressing rooms at the O2. You prepped all that that you could so that you could remain scarce during her rehearsals and sound check.

When security informed you that she was in the building, you busied yourself with menial tasks away from the stage. Matty had greeted her at her car and shown her around the house set before they started rehearsals. You love her, but you do not want to meet her, something you've made explicitly clear to Matty.

"I don't want to meet her."

"She's just a person, like me."

"No, you're normal. She's Taylor Swift."

"You're being ridiculous." He doesn't get it.

"She's Taylor Swift!" you say incredulously, arms waving.

He's laughing at you. Taylor Swift is coming and he's laughing at you.

"I'm learning so much about you right now."

~~~

Summoning you to the stage via your venue walky-talky, Matty wants to rehearse a new lab coat scene.

"She's gone now, so you can stop hiding." His voice crackles from the device and you sigh in relief.

As you walk up the steps side stage to the main level, the band all smile at you like they know something you don't. That's when you see her standing on the upper level by George's drum set with Matty.

Taylor.

You immediately turn to leave, but Ross and Hann catch you.

"Hi Britt!" Taylor smiles brightly when she sees you, quickly coming down the stairs to hug you.

"It's so nice finally meeting you! Matty talks about you all the time!"

Your blink in shock, "he does?"

She nods as she drags you away from the band and over to the makeshift bar on stage. You come to your senses and manage a brief conversation with her despite your clammy hands and racing heart.

You talk about your favorite songs of The 1975 ("The City"), and you even make her laugh with your impression of Matty's accent when he sings, a moment you'll hold onto for a lifetime. You tell her your favorite songs of hers ("All Too Well" obviously. "Taylor's Version!" you quickly throw-in at the end), and Taylor laughs.

Matty is watching you out of the corner of his eye. Your hands move as you talk, and Taylor stands close, giving you her undivided attention. Leaving after a few minutes, you let the band continue their rehearsal. You wave them off in a daze as you grab your iPad, quickly heading down the steps to the side stage.

Taylor watches Matty as his eyes follow you off the stage. She puts down her drink and picks up her guitar again, making her way to the microphone on the stand, strumming a familiar tune.

"I've been in love with her for ages..."

Matty rolls his eyes and tells her to stop messing about.

"I like her," she comments.

He smiles bashfully and looks at his shoes.

Walking back into the dressing rooms, you note Charli's relaxed appearance as she spreads herself along the couches. The production seats of the arena would be at capacity tonight as many of the band's family and friends came to watch the show. You expect Denise and the rest of the Healy family to arrive this afternoon.