Prologue

When the skies and the grounds were one, the legends, through their twelve forces, nurtured the tree of life

An eye of red force created the evil which coveted the heart of the tree of life, and the heart slowly grew dry. To attend to and embrace the heart of the tree of life, the legends hereby divide the tree in half and hide each side. Hence, time is over-turned and space turns a skew.

The twelve forces divide into two and create two suns that look alike - into two worlds that seem alike.

The legends travel apart. The legends shall now see the same sky but shall stand on different grounds - shall stand on the same ground, but shall see different skies. The day the grounds beget a single fire before one sky in two worlds that seem alike, the legends will greet each other. The day the red force is purified, and the twelve forces reunite into one perfect root, a new world shall open up...

§

A door slams with unnecessary force and makes you jump in your seat. 

You glare in the direction of the noise, faintly cursing under your breath to no one in particular. With a heavy sigh and a small shake of your head, you slide your hand over the pages of your open book.

Having witnessed the majority of your friends get married, have kids, or move across the country, you feel it's best to avoid every one of these things until incredibly necessary. Naturally, school was your first option. 

It was always your choice to go to a university after you graduated, but there could be no warning about how intensive it actually was. Halfway through your first two years, you decided to change your major; a decision that would cost you mentally and emotionally, as well as financially. As a result, you spent your time playing catch-up while it seemed like the other students coasted through their classes comfortably, inevitably making it the hardest year of your life.

You squirm in your seat, trying to find the right position to release some tension in your muscles. Every semester you attended at this school made your body ache with eagerness to leave. And finally, you're so close to the end.

"6 weeks," you say to yourself, trying to get back into the rhythm of the words on the page closest to you. "6 more weeks, Haeyeon."

You decide to switch subjects for a moment to give your mind a well-needed break from staring at the same textbook. 

Reaching inside of your bag, your hand bumps the spine of a rather large book - you pull it from the pocket and your eyes scan the covers. It sits intimidatingly in your hands, and you try to remember when or where you obtained this book. 

After a moment of hesitation, you grab a chunk of pages and fold them to the opposite side, randomly landing in an unread chapter - a cliche game for a mysterious book. Displayed before you on the crisp pages is a short passage, and you squint curiously at the words as you read them to yourself.

"Twelve forces..."

Suddenly, you spot a figure moving towards you quickly out of the corner of your eye. 

Your head moves in the direction of the figure and you look up, expecting a someone to be standing there, but there's no one. 

You turn your attention back to the book, skimming through the words. "The legends... who are the legends?..."

Once more, there's a sudden movement in your peripherals, and this time you stand up from your seat, your gaze searching the areas closes to you. You can sense someone watching you, their eyes attentive to your movements. 

Taking no chances, you immediately close the book and begin shoving your things back into your bag. Someone walks past your seat as you shuffle around and you glance up at them, still semi-focused on leaving. 

What you catch with that small glance is dark, flowing hair, and a pair of deep brown eyes that feel like they could tear you apart.

It's followed by a small gust of wind and you freeze in your spot. You look up fully, but there is no sign of anyone.

Wait.

You squint across the room at someone standing near the exit, lingering in the doorway.

He looks up and clocks you, his gaze meeting yours - those eyes. You look down at your seat, and then back up at the doorway, just seeing him begin to walk out.

The last thing you catch before he leaves through the door is a small smirk.

§

Please note: if you are reading this story anywhere else, then it is a stolen, pirated copy, likely on a virus-filled mirror site. Please go to wattpad.com to read it for free.

Copyright © 2015. The inspiration for this story and references to Korean pop groups, lyrics, individual persons, etc. are not owned or created by me. Any inspiration pulled from this story and applied to other stories should be credited, but not copied or paraphrased. 

Thank you for your time - please enjoy and respect the story.