Chapter 1

Chapter 1

i.

The sky was blue and the sun warmed the streets of Penin. But the people were cold and heartbroken. There was an eerie silence. On a large podium sat Stefan, Yuri then Alexie. All wore their parade military dress; all three wore the Valour of Konokov medal; the highest military award that any soldier could earn in Konokov. The funeral carriage approached softly, Stefan gave a subtle nod to Sander Penn who lifted his violin and along with the rest of the small orchestra, played a sombre tune.

The music was sanding but warm, signifying both the death of the Queen four days earlier, and her character. The three of them saluted the carriage carrying the late Queen's coffin. The carriage took a left into the palace where it stopped. Marshal Karn of the Royal Guard and High Commissar Gant silently relieved the three of their duties. They marched from the podium and toward the carriage. Picking up the coffin then slowly marched into the palace and down to the Mausoleum where the Royal's had been buried before the Imperial occupation.

The Mausoleum was an ancient structure, the few updated included new security, electrical lighting and a marble surfacing. The late Queen lay beside her husband. The priest conducted a silent prayer as those present ducked their heads. Once the ceremony was over they left silently and returned to the palace gardens, No Royal Duties would take place. The nation was in mourning, only the real noise in Penin came from the construction and restoration crews restoring Penin's beauty.

Alexie woke up, four weeks since the Empire's attack. Penin had since been rebuilt. Yuri was actively refusing the title of King. He dressed in a light Commissar's dress, which consisted of his olive shirt, his Trench coat, trousers and boots. Stefan had stopped socialising, this however was a very recent occurrence; Alexie gave it three more days before he would act on it himself. Yuri, Alexie had literally removed alcohol from his Majesties presence, at meals, only water of milk were served. Alexie found his new role amusing, everything Yuri did was under his watch. This was something he had found more necessary for Yuri's health than for the original reasons.

Alexie sat in the hall calmly, Yuri sat in his king's chair; he refused of course the wear the crown as well. Taking a sip from his cup, Alexie leant on the arm of his chair and watched his friend, Yuri was calm, but everyone around his was nervous. The Royal Guardsman standing on either side of the Yuri ten feet lent into the ear of all guests. "Do not say king. Your majesty is fine". Alexie had enforced the rule after a heated outburst from Yuri at a young corporal from the IKA who come to request his attention for a military council meeting.

The politics of Konokov were still in a form of revolution. All political parties had disbanded officially however many groups existed that had previous been involved with various parties or groups of political nature. The council of Independents were now the government in a subliminal sense, they passed appropriate laws social and economic and the Yuri signed them into law. As Yuri sat in his seat a young man in a suit arrived.

"Your Majesty, I have the new government structure for you" Yuri looked up at him. He stood confident, Yuri waved him forward and took the document to read it.

Article 1: New Government.

All Political Parties have hereby dissolved to form support groups for individuals to seek elections. Support groups will begin small campaigns to have their chosen independent elected by popular vote. The states of Amedka (Northern Konokov), Samboe (Western Konokov), Graviki (Southern Konokov), Kanikova (Eastern Konokov) and Penin and Hallan (Capital and outer districts) will each elect three Candidates to represent them in the new parlianment. Once these fifteen have been have been elected, they will travel to Penin to begin their Prime ministerial campaign.