Chapter 11

He knew that this kind of question was slightly ridiculous, considering his interlocutor's amnesia. But, in the back of his mind, he hoped she knew what he was talking about, so he would not have to tell her everything from the start.

Or at least what he had planned to say.

From the puzzled look the girl gave him, he knew all he needed to know. With a sigh, he began to explain what the Mafia was all about, without going into too much detail.

When he broached the subject of abilities, with which he himself was gifted, he once again came up against a wall.

"Abilities? What is it...?"

She had not flinched at all when he had mentioned the Mafia, which had surprised him. As if nothing was really shocking when talking about such a dark organization...

And even more so when one claimed to be an active member of it.

He let out another defeated sigh, finally relaxing against the bench; he briefly looked at the snowy glass roof above his head, trying to work out how to explain all this. After a few seconds' thought, he decided to simply demonstrate.

He grabbed the hat previously on his head and, under the stranger's watchful gaze, it began to rise into the air, while the brunette let out an exclamation of astonishment.

"H-how...? What the hell...?"

Obviously, she had dropped all politeness, too surprised by what had unfolded before her wide-open eyes, as the hat slowly fell back on his red hair.

The young woman's heterochromatic pupils overflowed with stars, making her look like a little puppy who had been promised a treat. This comparison had the merit of making Chuuya laugh, who pulled himself together the next moment, only to notice that the brunette was now looking at him strangely, no doubt wondering what was happening to him.

"As you can see, I'm able to control the gravity of the things I touch... It's called an ability. In principle, they're unique, although I've heard of two separate people possessing the same..."

"And do you think I'll be able to do the same, Chuuya-san?" the young girl continued, speaking at full speed, obviously unable to stand still. "Could I have an ability too?"

The redhead remained silent for a long moment, unsure how to teach his new 'fan' that this kind of thing was rare.

"Maybe, who knows..." he finally replied, not having the heart to admit the truth to her.

Maybe it wasn't such a bad thing that she didn't own one, he thought after a moment's reflection, as the stranger examined his hat from every angle, surely looking for clues to prove that this was all a set-up, and that, for example, a thread had been connected to his hat, which would explain the somersault it'd just performed.

If she were not that useful, keeping her in the Mafia would be absurd. If, on the other hand, she did have an ability, her value would increase tenfold, and leaving the organization would be more impossible than ever.

Mori had expressed his wish to recruit her into the Mafia, arguing that, with her amnesia, they could not have wished for better in terms of her loyalty.

She had nowhere to go and nothing to lose. What is more, she owed a great debt to Chuuya, and by extension to the Mafia, who owned the hospital where she was currently being treated.

This girl was the ideal candidate. She seemed intelligent, and with a little practice it was certain that she could learn how to handle things on her own in this organization.