Chapter 2: Who You Are

The grand portal in their village was almost never used, except for once a year. The doctors had their own portals, and various other professions had permission to enter the Nether through their portals, but the elegant one on the hill had a special purpose.

Once a year, the young Piglins would line up, go through the Nether, and chose their weapon. A weapon was more than just a weapon, it was a Piglin's best friend. Their weapon determined their role. Sword and crossbow wielders may both be hunters, but they helped in different ways.

Axe wielders were special. Piglins who felt connected to the axe were the strongest of all, the defenders of their species who could wipe out even the strongest of players in a couple of hits. Like his father, Strong-arm.

Strong-arm was named for his strength, as one might expect. He was one of the most famous Piglin brutes in the village. He wanted Brutus to follow his path, despite his mother saying that no one chooses their weapon; the weapon choses you.

Both his mother and sister had crossbows, and Brutus sometimes wished he could join them on the hunt. Protecting all Piglins sounded stressful, everyone's eyes would be on him. If only I was like Evol, he's so easily ignored. And he can just teleport away from everything!

Defending other Piglins may be hard, but it was easy to protect his best friend. Evol used to be bullied a lot during their younger years. Brutus changed that. Sure, he may have gotten scolded by the Enderman for it, but it was worth it in his eyes. Whoever said violence wasn't the answer hasn't met Brutus.

"Remember to relax." His mother said, making sure he looked presentable. "Don't be tempted by what your father says, or what anyone else says. You will find your weapon when and where it wants to be found."

He opened the front door, walking down the blackstone path to the portal with his mom and sister behind him. Strong-arm was there, along with another brute, guarding the portal. His eyes seemed to bore right into his soul. Brutus kept his head down, as if the crowd of Piglins could keep him safe.

"Brutus!" A familiar voice made him look up. Evol was there, ready to support his friend. Most Endermen didn't bother attending these ceremonies, even some Piglins tended to stay home. They did take nearly all day, after all.

A hush swept over the crowd as the brute his father had been talking with stepped up. "Greetings, young Piglins. Today is the day that you become full-fledged members of our species!" A cheer rose up, but Brutus couldn't find the energy to join in.

"There are weapons throughout the Nether, placed there by both our esteemed local blacksmiths and by older Piglins. Some had deceased partners or family, some simply felt that their weapons were in need of a younger pair of Piglin hand to wield them. All weapons have been repaired and made so they are in a similar state." The brute was reading off of a scroll, remembering a speech like this might have been hard without it.

"You have all day to find your weapon, and you may go as far as you'd like, but travel at your own risk." He closed the scroll with a snap, letting Strong-arm step up to recite his portion, a list of all the Piglin's names.

As each Piglin was called, they stepped up and went through the portal. Brutus wouldn't have to wait for long, it was in alphabetical order. He stole another look at Evol, who gave him a reassuring smile. It'd be alright.

He stepped up the stone stairs, ignoring his father's piercing gaze. Going through the portal was just as it was every year he got his shots, a dizzying experience that left him seeing purple for the next couple of minutes.

"Oh great Brine-" He mumbled under his breath as the heat hit him. It was a miracle they evolved to live here, in such a hot and hellish land. Other Piglins were sniffing the air and rooting through bushes, looking for their weapons. Some had already found them, and were waiting to head back through.