Chapter 2

"Suhaib Sheikh of Ardibah?" a nod followed my inquiry.

"I should have guessed. Considering you both were awfully close during the Qadsa'-Ardibah summit. Now tell me sister, are you fond of the boy?" I asked, guiding her to sit.

Our conversation about the prince revealed that my sister had indeed fallen for him. Today wasn't the only occasion when they had sneaked out to meet each other. From what I gathered, they had been in touch for a few months now. She continued to describe his demenour and his antics. I held a genuine curiosity about what made this man so special in my sister's eyes. I grappled with the decision of whether to delve deeper into this topic or to bring it to a close, uncertain of whether their relationship might eventually lead to marriage. However, Naaifa crushed my doubt.

"He asked for my hand in marriage."

"Well, then we shall prepare for our journey to Ardibah." I said with a smile.

Her exuberant jump and squeal of happiness were heartening. She was old enough, and I had faith in her judgment. However, a lingering doubt about this boy persisted within me. Nevertheless, the idea of visiting his kingdom felt like a way to settle my uncertainties.

Now, there was one formidable obstacle in my path: my father. Convincing him would be a challenge, as he was even more possessive of Naaifa than I was. But for the sake of my sister, I had to try. Determined, I made my way to the king's room. Inside, my mother was engrossed in painting on her canvas, while my father relaxed on the balcony, sipping a glass of tea.

"Baba, could I have a word with you?" my call caused my father to turn and look at me with a smile.

"Of course son, come, sit."

Then, I explained to him the entire situation. As I spoke, a tense expression gradually crept onto my father's face. I could understand his reluctance; he hadn't fully accepted that Naaifa had grown up. However, once I had finished my explanation, he let out a sigh. He turned to look at mama and then me.

"You have my blessing. However, you must follow her. Make arrangements, as prince I would like you to accompany your sister there and give them my respects."

A rush of relief washed over me. I bowed, knowing that it was all the permission I needed.

***

The journey to Ardibah had begun, my sister was adrenalized. She seemed to be completely absorbed in discussions about her wedding attire and the type of cuisine she envisioned for the big day. However, I couldn't shake off my worries, primarily because we hadn't yet obtained permission from Suhaib's parents. Adding to the complexity of the situation, Suhaib had a sister who, while undoubtedly beautiful, could be rather exasperating at times.

I remember the first time we met, it was three years ago during the Ardibah-Qadsa' summit. About the same time Suhaib and Naaifa's encounter happened. she was silent and composed. Never spoke unless she felt the need to. There was something about her that caught my attention. The place was crowded with people, but my eyes were only drawn to her. She stood behind her father, adorned in a white silk abaya accompanies with chandelier earrings. My eyes will never forget that effervescent image of her that day.

"Hey, are you even listening to me!?" my thoughts were casually interrupted by my little sister who just wasnt done swooning over her man.

"Sorry kid, I was thinking of something."

"Something, or someone?"

I fell silent. Of course Naaifa was my sister however when it came to my love life, she was the last person I spoke to. The thought of my younger sister knowing about my love endeavours were weird to me. Contributing to the exact reason why i didnt reply to her.

"Kafoor, how long more is the journey?" the entire reason I asked Kafoor was because I had wanted to avoid her questions.

After several hours of travel, we finally reached our destination. Naaifa had thought ahead and sent a letter to Suhaib in advance, ensuring that preparations were made to welcome us. As we disembarked, we were greeted by the dignitaries and rulers of the land we had just set foot on. Their welcome was exceptionally warm and hospitable. Following the heartfelt greetings, we were escorted to a designated meeting room where the pivotal discussion regarding Naaifa and Suhaib's marriage proposal was set to take place.