WWJBD

10-6-23

On Tuesday morning, I was pretty upset when I woke up. I'm not sure what I want to do for my future, so I get hit with waves of doubt and sadness. Anyway, I pulled myself together and got ready for school. I got in the car, and I put one of my playlists on shuffle.

I like to call my music taste diverse. I enjoy listening to 80s and 70s music, R&B, and Kpop. Basically, there's no telling what the next song could be when I put my music on shuffle. Things can get random.

That morning, I got through a few songs, as I was trying to distract myself from my thoughts. Suspicious minds by Elvis had just finished playing. I love that song a lot, so I had finally reached a peaceful mindset. Then, the next song starts abruptly playing. I alway get startled when this song starts. The song I'm referring to is Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffett.

After about ten seconds into the song, I started crying out of nowhere. Or maybe it did come from somewhere. Jimmy Buffett's recent death definitely had to do with it. I don't even know that many songs by him, but hearing of his death saddened me.

I also associate a lot with this song. It mainly all has to do with the Margaritaville franchise. In Pensacola, Florida, there was a Margaritaville hotel from 2010 to 2023. The building recently got rebranded, which is really disappointing. This place brought Margaritaville from some fictional place in a drunk man's mind to an actual reality. The theming and vibes of this hotel was so cool, and despite its name, it was a kid friendly place as well. I have vacationed there a lot with my cousins over the past decade.

I think I've gotten over how the building is not Margaritaville anymore. I still love visiting Pensacola, and I still associate it with the song. It's still like an escape to me. It's an escape from my life and worrying about the future.

In conclusion, I will not be listening to Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffett when I am sad.