preparations

Mahri's POV:

Phil and Dan stand in the garage admiring the bike I had picked out for his Christmas present. Jake told me that the best gift that he had received was a bike from his mom on his tenth birthday. I wanted to remind him of that gift and let him know that there could still be a world filled with amazing Christmases and unbelievable happiness.

"He is not going to know how to handle this beautiful machine." Dan starts, "Are you sure I can't take this off your hands for you?"

"He is an excellent driver," I say defending Jake, My hands are on my hips.

"And this, "Phil adds, "Is an excellent bike. Well done, M."

"Thanks." I beam. I am proud of this bike, a 1977 Indian Chief. Of course, it has two seats, a priority of mine in case he decides to take me for a ride. He will. I think about the adventures that we are sure to share and smile. I also think about him in a black leather jacket with my arms wrapped tight around him and my smile widens. The bike had one previous owner and low mileage. She is a beauty, black and retro and classy... very Jake-like.

"He will love it, the lucky jerk," Dan says sincerely and nods his approval, "Did you get a helmet to match the bike? Seriously Mahr, he needs a cool helmet."

Panic sets in. Phil notices. "I can handle that for you. I know a guy. It isn't a problem. Besides, I couldn't think of the perfect gift for my buddy. This seems just right." I am so glad that Jake and Phil are friends now, and so grateful that he is dating Betty. I am also more than thankful that Dan and Jake have reconciled.

"Phil, I am impressed that you have your Christmas shopping done. three whole days beforehand." I quip and nudge him in the arm. He winks at me, understanding that I am teasing him. He is much more responsible than people give him credit for. He is also much more thoughtful since he met Betty. "Thank you, that would be amazing and if you get him a helmet, that is one more thing I don't have to stress over. I hug Phil and then Dan, "Thank you so much, thank you both so much for all of this. I haven't had friends like this in a while. I don't think Jake ever has, It means a lot to us."

Dan stiffens and clears his throat, trying to hide emotion, "When does he get his bike and how are you getting it to him?"

"I was going to blindfold him and have him see it here."

"I have a better idea," Dan blurts out, "Leave it to me. It will be there on Christmas morning. I will deliver it myself, red ribbon and all."

I nod and hug each of these wonderful friends. Quickly, their attention turns back to the bike. They continue to stand there after I turn to walk away, I am not sure they even notice I am leaving. They just stare at the bike and occasionally grunt things at each other without approaching the bike, just staying back with their arms crossed in approval. I shake my head and leave the garage. "Boys and their toys," I whisper over my shoulder. I have no idea what men think when staring at a vehicle, but these two see something I don't.

I just hope that Jake is as delighted with the bike as they are.

---------------------

Jake's POV:

The girls were supposed to be here five minutes ago. I need their help today of all days. I begin to pace. I am not nervous about my decision. I know that Mahri is the one that I want to spend all of my life with. I just want to make it perfect. I have to get this right. This is the only proposal that I will make.

While I haven't confirmed that I am planning on proposing to Mahri, Betty knows. She knows everything and never stops reminding me of that. Confidence like that is a gift and someone who can have that without making other people feel small is a wonderful thing. Betty is incredible and I am so glad for our long friendship.