3✍️

Tensed Anushka was waiting outside the Operation theatre.
She didn't cry or break down. But yes it was all taking her soul away from her. Moving to and fro, her hands joined in prayer.

"Ma'am, you should sit down and relax." The nurse suggested.

"How can I relax?" Anushka said in an inaudible voice and took out her phone again to check if he is coming.
She dialed again.
"Shub?" She asked.
"Bhabhi, I will be there in no time. Don't worry. It will be fine." The voice on other side.

Shubman reached there in 2-3 minutes as he said.
Anushka ran to him.
"They are not letting me meet him, neither telling me anything about me. Shubman, I feel helpless."

"It's okay bhabhi you need to calm down. We can't afford you getting unwell in middle of this. Okay?" Shubman said asking her to sit.
"Doctors are doing their work. He will be fine."

The doctors came out and ask for a family member. Ofcourse they knew who they were treating on.
Shubman went realising Anushka may or may not be able to assimilate what the doctor will have to say.

"Hello Mr. Gill!" The doctor forwarded his hand and Shubman shook it back warmly.

"How is he doing?" Shubman asked calmly. Virat's crazy kid wasn't kid anymore. Time made him mature. Less impulsive.

"Mr. Gill, the glass from windshield penetrated into is head. We have removed it. External wounds, can be healed easily. What I fear at the moment is an internal trauma. We aren't sure. We have done the scans, reports will be here in a few.
And I wish my doubt is wrong." The doctor explained.

"Can we meet him?"

"Only one. He is unconscious right now under the effect of strong anaesthetics. But you can see him.
I would appreciate you to see the scans before Mrs. Kohli."

"Thankyou doctor." Shubman understood Doctor's generosity and concern for Anushka.

He went to Anushka and asked her to go see his Virat bhai and he will wait outside.

Anushka went into the ICU ward where Virat was shifted post surgery.

She looked at him and said nothing for a while, she just held is hand.
"Vamika is waiting, Virat." Saying this Anushka bursted into tears.

Meanwhile, the doctor called Shubman.
"I can see a concussion. And it might affect his brain functioning."

"Temporarily?" Shubman interrupted with some hope.

"I can't assure. It might not affect at all or might have a life long effect. We will get a clear picture when he wakes up."

Shubman thanked him again and left his cabin.
He came to Anushka.

"Bhabhi I think you should go home." He suggested.

"How can I Shub? Virat is here, he needs me." Anushka retaliated.

"I am here with him, I will stay for the night. Vamika must be waiting for you. She needs your support too. You can come back in morning."

Anushka agreed to it.

Shubman looked at him, lying there, dead and alive at the same time. And suddenly for no reason, his brain started giving him flashes of that night.
Rohit and Virat arguing, their fallout.

"Please Rohit Bhai, ruk jaao, unki sun lo." Shubman pleaded him.
He, Ishan and Kuldeep came to him as he was leaving.

"Rohit Bhai, Virat bhaiya kabhi iss intention se baat nahi karenge. Vo bhi press mein." Ishan said.

"Jo kehna tha jis intention se kehna tha vo keh chuka hai Ishan.
Aur ab maine bhi decide kar liya hai." Rohit said coldly.

"Rohit Bhai nahi, mat karo yaar." Kuldeep joined in hoping atleast Rohit would listen to him.

"Nahi Kul, ab shayad sahi time aagya hai." Rohit said and left.

"It was his dream." Ishan said. "Virat bhai shouldn't have said that."

"What do you mean?" Shubman asked him loudly. "Why is it so hard to understand for you it's not his fault."

"You are defending him because you love him and if that's the case I will stand by Rohit Bhai's side." Ishan declared.

"Don't be stupid you two." Kul said face palming.
"It's not the moment for your banters."

"I am very serious about it." Ishan said.

"So am I."

"We should be the ones to bring them back. And you two here are dividing teams." Kuldeep scolded them.

"It was bound to happen." Shreyas joined in.
"If these two fall out, every one will be divided too. You see, they are the core, and we are strings attached to them. Agar vo tute, toh hum sab ko tutne se koi rok nhi paayega. And I feel, Virat is wrong here."

"He is not." Shubman said with tears in his eyes.

Without realising it, Shubman was crying. He missed him. They all missed him. Their Rohit, who went somewhere that night. Ofcourse they knew where he lived. But the person, their brother. They never met that merry guy again.

And here was Virat. Trapped in guilt for something he didn't do.
They all knew Virat won't say anything demeaning about Rohit anywhere. Yet for once maybe Virat chose the wrong words to convey it. But had Rohit listened to it, he would have him by his side to in this tough hour. He knew, at the end of day, no one was wrong.

The youngters played on as a team, won as a team, lost as a team in the process. But the brotherhood was long gone.

Shreyas was retiring soon. The captain of White ball format. With a glorious fifteen year career. And yet he didn't have courage to look into his eyes and congratulate him.

Maybe the only people in team he could talk to were Jaddu and KL who retired long back.

"I wish all that happened in last in nine years could be erased and life give us all a second chance." Shubman said sobbing, looking at Virat constantly.

And as they say, think wise before you ask something.

~

Why am I being so dramatic?
Anyways, do upvote and comment if you liked.
Yours Riii <3