| 1 | Sunlight ☀︎︎

__________________________________

I've always loved flowers, plants, and gardens, even as a little girl I was obsessed with flowers. specifically pink tulips. My mom always would grow flowers outside of our house and in a garden behind our house.

I live in an apartment complex in Cambridge Massachusetts, I haven't lived here my whole life and it isn't where I grew up, I grew up in a small suburb in Washington State. After my Dad passed away my mom was in a horrible state, I had just turned 19 and I was already out of the house and my mom couldn't deal with being alone so, she went to live with my aunt in Wisconsin, I decided I didn't want to move to Wisconsin with her since it didn't provide the opportunities I wanted it to.

I'm 22 now and I visit my mom when I can, but school and work take up most of my time, I can barely make any time for my best friend, Charlotte (Lottie) Baker. she's the dark to my light, but I rub off on her sometimes. She has long light blonde hair with deep blue eyes, she's about 5'6 to my 5'4. she has beautiful olive-tan skin and light freckles dusting her skin. She says I'm too optimistic sometimes but I say she's too pessimistic so we balance each other out.

Lottie and I work in a small flower shop downtown, my boss Ginny is.. nice, but she can be abrasive sometimes, so I typically talk to customers since no one else is as bubbly and overly friendly as I am. I love my job, but I'd also love to own a flower shop someday. Right now I cannot afford to even think about that so I'll hold off on that dream for now.

It's early May, about 66 degrees, and sunny with a light breeze. I'm wearing my favorite crewneck, it's a bit oversized, it's pastel pink with small daisies all over it. with black leggings and white platform Converse. my hair is up in a flower-shaped claw clip.

I walk into the shop and the small bell rings indicating that the door has opened, Lottie was already there a few hours before me. "Hey, Marci!" Lottie says, and waves at me from behind the register, "Hey Lottie! How've you been today?" I ask as I walk to the register and place my bag in a cubby behind the counter. "Good, pretty slow but good. We got another wedding order for next month so that's good. she wants like a thousand baby's breath like usual" She says and chuckles, I smile back "Good, and I can't blame them. it's a good filler" I say as I lean against the counter and sip my iced coffee. Lottie gasps dramatically, "Hey! You didn't get me one," she says. "I didn't know! And you still owe me for lunch last week" I reply, and she rolls her eyes at my comment, "yeah yeah don't remind me" she says sarcastically and I lightly push her on the shoulder "Girls stop goofing off" Ginny says from the back where she's making bouquets "there's nothing else to do! we haven't had a customer in over an hour" Lottie says and Ginny shakes her head and keeps working on the bouquet.

A couple of hours later I had a few customers but it was a slow day, I don't mind those except it makes the day feel so long. I spend a lot of that in-between time either reading botanical books or crocheting. Lottie wanted to get drinks after our shift, but honestly, I really need to study tonight instead of partying, so, I declined and promised to go out with her this weekend. it's not that I didn't want to... I just want to be a responsible adult, plus drinks cost a fortune and I don't want to be further in debt than I already am.

After my shift I walk home, I don't live too far from the shop and I like the exercise. the only thing is I don't necessarily love walking home alone at night but its a relatively safe area but there is still always that unnerving feeling. I get home and walk in and slide my shoes off by the door, I hang my bag up by the door and walk into the kitchen, and open the fridge "Ramen again tonight I guess" I say to myself as I close the barren fridge and grab a cup of ramen from the cupboard and pour water in it then pop it in the microwave. I know you're not supposed to microwave them because of the chemicals and stuff but I honestly do not have the energy to heat up water on the stove tonight. once it's done I grab some chopsticks and sit on the couch crisscross and place my noodles on the coffee table to cool. I grab my textbook and my laptop and place the laptop on my lap and the textbook next to me. After a few grueling hours I finally get my assignment done and let out a deep sigh.

I get up and put my empty ramen cup in the trash and my chopsticks in the sink, I grab a cup of water and walk into my bedroom.

It's a relatively small bedroom with cream-colored walls and two windows on the opposite wall from the door to my left is my bed, it's up against the wall and it has many fluffy pillows with light earthy green pillowcases, the comforter is big and fluffy, it's the same color as my pillows. the bedsheets are white and are so soft you'd think you're sleeping on a cloud. there's a nightstand next to it with two drawers and, a small sunlight-colored lamp on it next to a tiny succulent in a pot. The flowy white curtains on the window are normally pulled back to let in the sunlight but now they're closed since it's dark outside. I have a white desk under the window and a ladder-style bookcase next to it filled with books. I have plants decorating the room, some on shelves, some bigger ones on the floor, some hanging from the ceiling and just anywhere I could put one. A deep coffee-colored circle rug is in the middle of the room. And a white dresser is on my right up against the wall, unfortunately, this apartment doesn't have any closets except for a coat closet in the living room. but I manage without it. the saddest thing about this place is I have no room for a garden, I would love to grow my own flowers that aren't in plant pots. someday.

I water all my plants that need watering, then change into pajamas and curl up under my comfy blankets. I turn my lamp off and I turn over and drift to sleep.