Chapter 11: Which becomes the Flame of a Change

Summary:

tw: underage drinking, houselessness, abuse, neglect, drug mention

Notes:

'text' JSL

Text thoughts

---

Mortis was met with a full bar and cheers as they entered base. Au and Cho swept them onto the pair's shoulders, duffle bag now in one of Au's massive hands. "To Mortis! The one who could've won the whole sports festival but hung back for us!" Au raised a cheer, the crowd echoing back.

Mortis blushed, signing that they wouldn't even have beaten Bakugo, only for Cho to shush them.

"Shh, let us have this moment. And if it weren't for your family, you would kick his ass," ey grinned. "You don't have school for a couple days, right?"

Mortis nodded reluctantly.

"Another round for everyone! The kid can drink tonight!"

Mortis sputtered but accepted their rum and coke, savoring the bite they hadn't indulged in since a week before the entrance exam. After all, wouldn't be good for a random quirk or early trip to Recovery Girl to pick up a hangover.

As the gang partied, Mortis found they couldn't fully settle. Eventually, Boss noticed and pulled them to the side sometime around midnight. "You going to tell me what's going on or do I have to pick that brain of yours?"

Mortis smiled sheepishly before letting their expression drop for the first time since arriving. 'I got confirmation of Endeavor's son being abused by him.'

Boss sucked in a breath, "Commission involved?"

'Probably. Can't have the number two hero fall under scrutiny after all,' Mortis sneered, downing more of their drink. 'Pretty sure his wife is a victim in this as well, although it doesn't sound like she's in the picture right now. He has three other kids, doesn't he? Including Wildfire?'

Boss nodded, "Toya, Fuyumi, and Natsuo. Fuyumi still lives with him, but Natsuo is in college. You want an extraction?"

Mortis hesitated, 'It sounded like he's going to try on his own, but I told him to ask if he wants help. It seems he wants to get at least one of the others out with him.'

Boss hummed before adding, "I'll have Haruki start looking into it with a hold until you can tell us more. Now get back out there and have some fun, kid. You've earned it."

Reaper has joined Class A Group Chat

blank: about time! Sensei gave you that phone a week ago.

uravity: omg hi!!! So happy you're finally here, Mori :D

pomeranian: who the fuck changed my nickname again! :fire:

pomeranian changed his name to murdergod

murdergod: much better, nerds

redhot: aww I liked pomeranian 😉

richmiss: I still don't understand why this is my chat nickname, but hello, Mori.

We were discussing who we'd like to internship with if we had first pick. Do you have anyone in mind?

Akira snickered as they read through the participants list and realized most had nicknames based on the call signs Akira used. Everyone also had their pronouns in their chat bio, so Akira added they/them and double-checked their classmates. Shoji apparently used any pronouns, which Akira was curious about. I'll have to look up if it's the same address as listing specific ones at the library.