Chapter 16: We Are Determined to Live and to Die

Summary:

tw: addiction, elevated gang involvement, suicide, mass murder, grooming, abuse, shortened life expectancy, multiplicity adjacent activities, kidnapping mention

Logistics are logicked, plans are explained, and quirks trained

Notes:

Happy Halloween/Samhain! I'm gonna be dressing up as Present Mic for dnd tonight. Next week will include the first art I made of Akira :) Also, Chapter 2 of Memoirs Mori is up! It's an essay Akira will write in book 2 on Forced Quirk Manifestation. Check it out if you want to see how trauma maps to quirks and what the different types look like

'text' JSL
Text thoughts

Slipping into their room at almost half past midnight, Akira flopped onto the bed and saw over a dozen chat notifications from the Mad Banquet. Koda and Shinso were thriving, although the latter was going through what they called the Eraser Hell Course. Shaking their head at his theatrics, Akira frowned as they scrolled down to Tokoyami being disheartened with his internship, having learned nothing except how self-centered and seemingly unwilling to teach Hawks was. Only Shinso was still online, but Akira sent a quick update that they just got in from patrol and were about to crash. Shinso immediately sent a facetime request, which Akira blearily accepted, barely sitting up enough to sign.

"Hey, how'd your first- woah, our eyes match!"

Akira cocked their head in confusion before remembering that they'd taken their contacts out a bit ago since Taishiro and Amajiki already knew their birth family. 'Exhausting. I have to more than double my food budget with the plan he said I need, and I don't know how that's going to happen. Fat Gum also figured out more than I wanted him to – at least in this phase – and now Purple Moon knows, too.'

"He- I thought you were barely keeping up with Recovery Girl's?" Shinso switched gears as Aizawa walked into frame.

'Hi sensei, and I'll figure it out eventually. I just haven't had the time to sit down and hammer out more than an unsustainable work/school/sleep balance that'll set me back too far on that deposit. I have a week to make it work, two if I need to delay continuing the plan.'

"What about those 1000-calorie drinks you sometimes use?"

'Those are expensive, though. He gave me a bunch of recipes that are meant for a low budget, but they all require electricity to some degree.'

"Did he give you them before or after he... found out?" Shinso asked, drawing Aizawa's attention. "Then maybe he'll adjust it tomorrow? If nothing else, I can make you some of the stuff here and bring it to school."

'Blank, no. That's too much. My base intake needs to double, and part of this week is figuring out how much I need to increase my variable snacks to be effective.' Aizawa choked on his coffee in the background, and Akira stifled a laugh. 'Besides, you two need to leave soon for patrol; I imagine that's why Eraser is lurking?'

The next day, Akira found the morning shift in the cafeteria and was quickly spotted by the Diminutive Hero: Mouse. "Hey kid!" the petite hero bounded up. "I'm Mouse, fae/faer pronouns. You must be Umbra Mortis. Not many first years see me on their first day. Let me guess, Class A?"

They nodded, 'I remember reading about those, but do you know the JSL? I was having trouble finding signs for a lot of neopronouns.'

"Sure thing, kiddo," Mouse grinned and went through the signs. "They aren't coded yet, so it varies between people. Kind of like call signs! Fat Gum and Suneater usually aren't down here for another two hours, so how about you sit with us."