Chapter 2: First Impressions

**ART NOT MINE**

The following morning dawned with a crispness in the air that hinted at the changing seasons. The reader awoke early, determined to begin restoring the neglected farm. With sleeves rolled up and a determination in their heart, they set out to clear the overgrown brush and tend to the dilapidated buildings.

As the hours passed, the sun climbed higher, and the farm began to slowly reveal its potential. Sweat dripped down the reader's brow as they worked tirelessly, feeling the rewarding fatigue that comes from honest labor. Yet, amidst the toil, thoughts of Shane lingered in their mind.

Just as the afternoon sun reached its zenith, a familiar voice broke the solitude. "You're putting in a lot of effort for someone who just arrived." Shane's voice cut through the quiet, startling the reader from their work.

Turning to face him, the reader noted the hint of curiosity in Shane's eyes, though his guarded demeanor remained intact. They exchanged brief pleasantries, a stilted conversation filled with more silences than words.

Despite Shane's reticence, the reader felt a pull—a curiosity about this man who seemed equally worn by life's hardships. There was a sense of vulnerability that the reader glimpsed beneath Shane's tough exterior, a layer waiting to be unveiled.

Their interaction was interrupted by the arrival of Jas, a young girl from the village who ran toward Shane with excitement, eager to show him a drawing she made. Witnessing this unexpected softness in Shane as he engaged with Jas, the reader couldn't help but feel a glimmer of something more beneath his tough facade.

As the day wore on, the reader continued working on the farm, stealing occasional glances at Shane as he helped Jas before retreating into the shadows of the nearby coop. The complexity of Shane's character intrigued them—a mix of guardedness and unexpected tenderness that begged further exploration.

The sun dipped low once more, casting an orange hue over the landscape. The reader's muscles ached, but a sense of accomplishment filled them as they looked over the progress made on the farm. Pelican Town was slowly becoming more than just a place to start anew; it was becoming a home.

As they retired for the evening, thoughts of Shane lingered. There was a mystery to him, a puzzle waiting to be solved—one the reader felt drawn to decipher.