Chapter 1

mid July of 2023

I'm currently packing my suitcases with everything I own. All my makeup, clothes, books, you name it and it's probably in my bag right now. I'm getting ready to move to Michigan.

After my parents divorce, my mom slowly started to become an alcoholic. I didn't notice when I was younger because I didn't even know what alcohol was, but now that I'm 16, I know that I never want to be like her.

She got arrested for drinking and driving, and since I'm technically still a minor, I have to go live with my dad. I don't get why I can't stay here though. I've been basically raising myself since I was 10. There would be no difference.

Plus my whole life is here in Pittsburgh. All my friends, my school, even my cheer team. At least the season just started so I won't be screwing them that badly. I'm going to miss it here so much. Plus I hate the cold and Michigan is freezing in the winter.

The only good thing is I get to see Trevor again. They used to visit twice a year for the first few years, but then dad got a new girlfriend Veronica, or was it Jessica. There have been too many to count. But because of whoever her name was,  they stopped. That's when mom's drinking started to get bad. But that's beside the point.

I finish packing my suitcases and take them out to the Uber I ordered. It's about an hour car ride to the airport, so I put my AirPods in and shuffle my Taylor swift playlist. Yes I'm a Swiftie alright don't judge me.

Once I get to the airport and make it through security I head to Starbucks because I'm going to need a drink to get me through this day. I don't like coffee but their strawberry açaí refreshers with lemonade and a chocolate cake pop can really get me through anything.

I'm now sitting at my gate waiting to board the plane still listing to Taylor. I have bad social anxiety so I'm hoping I don't have to sit by some weird person. I hope it's someone nice, but atleast I have a window seat so I can take cute Instagram pictures.

While I'm waiting I decide to try to text my dad and Trevor again. I've been trying to get ahold of them all day but no answer from either. I know Trevor is at hockey practice but I have no clue what time it ends, but I have no idea why my dad isn't answering. At least I have the address to my new home already so if he doesn't answer it isn't the end of the world.

When I finish sending the texts it's time to board the plane and when I get to my seat there is a boy and his mother sitting in the middle and the aisle seat. He doesn't look to be any older than me and i start to get nervous because I have to ask them to move

"Excuse me," I say to the lady , "I'm pretty sure that's my seat by the window. It's like she can sense how nervous I am because she says "no need to be nervous dear it's ok we will get up." She grabs her son and they scoot out of the row so I can scoot in. Once I'm in my seat I turn to the lady "thank you." She gives me a polite smile and a nod and I start to calm down. That wasn't so bad.

I was putting my backpack under the seat infront of me and getting my book out ready to read when the boy starts talking to me. "I'm Luke, what's your name." For some reason I don't feel nervous to talk to him like I would anyone else. "I'm Julia, nice to meet you Luke." I stick out my hand for him to shake and he does. We both share a laugh and he speaks up again.

"So, why are you going to Michigan." He asks. "I'm moving in with my dad and my brother." Is all I say. I don't really want to tell him why and he doesn't ask, which is nice. "So, why are you going to Michigan?" I ask him the same question. "I live there, I was in Pittsburgh with my mom for a baby shower." I gave him a weird look. It's like he could read my mind because he said exactly what I was thinking. "I know you're probably wondering why a boy would be down here with his mom for a baby shower," I shake my head yes, insinuating for him to go on, "it's because she didn't want to go alone and everyone else was busy." I laugh at that and we continue to talk.

I didn't even get to read my book because we talked the whole time. Just getting to know each other. It was nice. At the end of the flight we exchanged snapchats and phone number because you never know which your going to use. I got in my Uber and waved bye to Luke and his mom and on the way to my house, I'd realized I just found my best friend.

Maybe Michigan won't be so bad after all I thought to myself while staring out the window looking at my new city.

____________________________________

First chapter is done! I'm so excited I'm loving it already. I can't wait for you guys to read this and more chapter for this book.

Remember, any feedback let me know and anything you want to happen say and I'll consider it.

Leave any and all comments while reading too please and thank you🫶🏻

And if anyone is reading this thank you so much for choosing my book to read. It means a lot