Chapter 14

*** Zorin ***

Aerig is laid back in his lounge chair, beverage in hand. His chair is just at the edge of the water, and the waves lap at the two front chair pegs. He's in nothing but swim trunks as he sunbathes on the beach.

Except...I think he missed the point of sunbathing. For starters it's midnight. The sun is nowhere to be seen. It set hours ago. The moon isn't even that bright right now either and is blocked by clouds. Yet Aerig still has sunglasses on, a large umbrella over his chair, and a matching tiny umbrella in his drink.

I stand over him, arms crossed. "So how is watching Brixlee going, Aerig?"

"Hmm. Who?" His voice is even, bored.

He is such a drama queen. "You know... the person I asked you to keep an eye on."

"Oh her." He lifts his drink to his lips and takes a slow sip from the straw before setting it back down. "She's not here."

I roll my eyes, "I can see that. How has she been?"

Aerig huffs. "She's been rather boring so far. Sleeps too much. Whines too much. Nervous about everything. Works too much... Speaking of, why does she work at an auto parts store? She'd be lucky if she could identify a steering wheel." He takes another sip of his martini. "Can you move a foot to the right? Sky's a little bright tonight."

A flicker of irritation runs through me at his words. I hate that I can't just guard Brix myself, but with as many restrictions are on me right now, I only have limited access to her. Everyday it seems they are limiting me more and more. Best I can do is send Aerig in my stead.

To make matters worse, I can't even tell if the danger she is currently in is just a set up or something I should be involved in. But I suppose if she were in real danger, her family would be more concerned.

I do as Aerig suggests and step to the side before saying. "I believe my request was for you to guard her, not analyze her life like you would a movie." There are plenty enough people doing that already.

He looks down over his sunglasses at me, both eyebrows lifted. "You're kidding right?"

He already knows my answer, so I stay silent. Aerig is an ancient creature, older than anything I can comprehend. Yet sometimes he acts more like a teenager than the old man he really is. He appears in his late twenties, and his constant need for entertainment suggests he's even younger, but everything about him is deceiving.

He pushes his sunglasses back up. "I don't see how you're attracted to such a disturbing creature. Did you know she leaks snot out of her nose when she cries?"

I say smoothly. "Hmm. Afraid of a bit of emotion are we Aerig? I'll do my best to make sure she doesn't cry in the future." Unlike him, snot and feelings do not scare me.

He laughs at me. "Good luck with that blundering mess. She's probably one of those humans that cry tears of happiness too.You'll have to balance her moods just right if you want to avoid the bogger waterfalls."

Despite his insulting words, I know he is just toying with me. "Aerig, if I were you, I'd be a bit more careful with how you speak about her. Plus, you have had a human form quite a bit recently. Who knows, maybe you will be plagued by the booger waterfalls yourself."

He gasps, insulted. "I would never."

I take a step to the left, so I'm no longer blocking his imagined sun. "Don't expect me to comfort you if you cry Aerig."

"Don't test me child." He warns.

"Alright Aerig, if you get sad..." my words cut off as he throws me off the beach he's claimed. I stumble forward into the inbetween space usually used for teleporting. Hmm he hasn't tossed me into the nothingness in quite awhile. I guess I was overdue. I stroll forward seeking the safest pathway out of here.

I used to be afraid of going near him, yet after being around as long as he has, I suspect he's glad for the companionship and for someone to banter with.

His unique abilities also make him the perfect person to guard Brixlee while I am busy, even if he appears to be relaxing on a beach. Technically any of the shadows would work, but Aerig is meticulous. He misses nothing, yet everyone misses him.

I stand a foot away from the path that leads me to Brixlee's apartment and let out a frustrated sigh. I probably should stay away for right now. Penny was kind enough to unknowingly offer me a loophole anyways. I'll see Brix soon enough. Plus, I'll be able to have her under my full protection for a few days. I just have to get Brixlee to agree to it, but that should be easy enough even if she is skittish around me.

Artie's voice intrudes in my mind. Zorin, if you plan on taking Brixlee back to Celestaria tomorrow, there are a few things we must discuss.

Of course there are. My eye twitches in agitation. Maybe I'll get some answers while visiting.