TWO

CHAPTER TWO
°⋆∴☽°:۵≼

i. divine debate !

— THE CAFETERIA AT MIDTOWN HIGH SCHOOL WASN'T MUCH OF A SPECTACLE

THE CAFETERIA AT MIDTOWN HIGH SCHOOL WASN'T MUCH OF A SPECTACLE. The meals were simple, usually varying around mini vegetables, meatballs, and cheese strings piled onto plastic plates- finished off with chocolate milk or bottled orange juice. The tables were cheap plastic, paired with identical benches that creaked and groaned whenever someone took a seat.

Still, to a student, the sight was blissful. It was a space that symbolised momentary peace from the hustle and headache of every boring class.

This was especially true for Peter, who mindlessly trailed after Ned towards their ever vacant table, glad to be free from his tiresome, torturesome English as they quietly discussed a very intense ongoing debate- a growing argument that they'd had a million times before and yet had never found common ground, or any point of agreement.

"Dude, Scar killed his own brother and practically exiled Simba, he's by far the worst Disney villain based on morals alone." Ned insisted, sliding his tray down onto their table as he shrugged off his backpack.

Peter did the same, tossing his bag beneath the bench as he sat down, "The hunter killed Bambi's mother, man-"

"He's a hunter, that's his job, killing is his necessity- Scar's isn't, he just wanted the throne." Ned defended dramatically, prying open his carton of chocolate milk, "The hunter is just one cog in a machine, and if you appreciated the Lion King as much as I did, you would understand that that's just the circle of life."

"You guys aren't actually arguing about animated animals are you?" A voice called from down the length of the table, interrupting their heated discussion.

They recognized the girl as Michelle Jones, an objectively strange and unusual character who often gravitated towards them despite the emotional distance and well constructed walls she built around herself

"No- uh..." Peter smiled awkwardly, "Disney villains. We were just- arguing about who's the worst one when considering their evil deeds and overall atrocities."

"And you landed on the hunter from Bambi?" Michelle asked with a deadpan expression, and slight tilt of the head. "Simba spent most of his life eating bugs and believing Mufasa's death was his fault. Scar wins by a longshot."

"Thank you!" Ned exclaimed, raising his milk carton in a gesture of gratitude before seemingly remembering something, "Oh, hey, we saw the mural in the language hall. You did a great job on the sketch."