Chapter Sixteen. Like A Fool

Lake Larson

Lake Larson

I rolled over with my legs pinned under Alex. The hungover blur in my eyes stung to my temples. With one eye open, I saw Alex spread sideways on the bed, lying across me. Her head hung slightly off the mattress, with her wild hair brushing the wood floor.

Pulling my legs out, I stood from the warm sheets and stretched my arms. I yawned, trying to keep my eyes open. My tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth as I glanced around for my water bottle.

Failing to find my water, I strolled into the bathroom. Like a zombie, I dragged my feet with my eyes shut. I leaned over my sink, clicking on my vanity light while I maneuvered my leg to close the door. Sink water would have to do in this dire moment.

The sound of water splattering had me looking through the slits of my eyes. Its miracle liquid drained down the hole while I huffed out, seeing a hand on the faucet.

Smirking, I followed the arm, peeking to the side of me to see Ian. He smiled, leaning on the vanity with his body close to mine. I shook my head and scooped water into my palms, pouring it between my lips.

"How's your head?" Ian asked, playing with the water.

I glanced at him. "Like someone opened my skull and took a hammer to it."

He chuckled before his expression changed to shock. His eyes glanced at his hand while I followed his gaze. Ian's palm filled with water, falling over the edge of his skin.

"Look at that," I said, turning to face him. "Someone is getting pretty good at being a ghost."

He stepped closer to me, not breaking eye contact. I could make out with my side peripheral that his hand kept playing with the sink water.

"The best part," he said, scooting even closer. "I can feel the warm temperature too."

A moan from Alex echoed in my apartment, prompting Ian to step slightly back. I didn't notice how close he was until the air between us warmed up. He smiled sadly while I glanced back at the water, seeing the liquid go through his palm.

"Lake," Alex said, knocking.

"Yeah," I replied with my eyes on Ian. "Just a—" He turned, walking through the door. "Moment."

I spun back to the sink, cupping the water into my palms and splashing the cold water onto my face.

"Alex, I think you killed me!" I yelled before opening the door.

Alex slouched on the frame, barely able to stand. "Yeah, I think I killed myself, too."

I glanced around Alex, seeing Ian shaking his head with a low chuckle. Smiling at Ian, I mirrored his smirk. Alex stumbled forward while looking at what I was smiling at. She caught her feet before bringing her questionable expression to me.