Chapter 2: Background check

Veon was dreaming. An image of a young girl appeared. She was smiling with such lively energy. The little girl called his name with such a lovely tone.

Veon woke up in a daze, his heart felt ached, he miss seeing her for a long time. He looked at his window with such sad eyes. He stood and walk closer to his balcony and touch the door of the balcony.

"I wonder how she's doing.. Maybe she has become a kind, sweet grown-up.." — he said.

As he stares in a daze, a servant knocked on his door.

"Young master, I have prepared your warm bath. Please head to the dining room as soon as your finish," — A female servant said.

"Thank you. I'll be there in a few minutes."

Veon got out of his bath. He wore his expensive, elegant suit and his favourite silver watch; he styled his hair in a cool and matured style, yet elegant in the eyes. After he sprayed his perfume. Its scent is refreshing and cool. The fragrance of his perfume spread in the halls of the place.

"Your finally here, son. Did you sleep well last night?" — Veon's mother ask.

"Good morning, mother. I slept a bit. I'm full of energy today."

Veon and his mother ate while chatting like usual. As soon as he finished, he stood and excused himself to head to work.

"Then, I'll get going."

"Good luck with work, son." — his mother gave luck to him.

C.S Building

"Good morning, sir Veon!" — everyone in the halls that he walk pass or meets greets him with admiration and respect.

Every time he greets them back with a smile, the female employees would squeal or either faint. The male employees would feel honored to be in his presence. There are some that envy him and cause him to have enemies.

"Sir Veon, you've arrived. Here are the files you've asked for."

"Thank you, Lin."

Veon turned his chair to the right while he flipped through the papers, reading the documents.

"Not at all, Sir. Is there anything else you want me to do?" — Lin asks.

Hearing Lin ask if he has something else to tell him to do, Veon immediately saw the sight of the little girl he hadn't seen for years. He then placed down the documents on the side of his table and turned to face Lin.

He sat in his chair elegantly but coolly.

"Secretary Lin, I'd like you to look into someone's background. Check if they still have the same address."

Lin looked at Veon. He scoffs as soon as he realised.

"Understood." — Lin said with a smile.

"Secretary. Lin."

Lin was in big trouble. Veon is so menacing that his smile looked creepy and mysterious.

"Well then, I shall look into it. I shall report back soon. Have a good day sir!" — Lin said as he ran off the office and left.

When Veon's office door closed. Veon sighed as he turned his chair around and looked through his wide office window. He gazed at the sky. He still sees her image even with his eyes open.

He whispered; "I'll finally meet you again, Kean."

Few hours later

Gradually, the sound of someone's footsteps became more distinct, drawing closer to the president's office. Then, suddenly, the door's office. Then, suddenly, the door burst and a yell came along with.

"Sir Veon!!!" — Lin yelled aloud.

Lin's loud voice surprised Veon. He looked as if he had a sudden heart attack.

He was supposed to scold Lin, but Lin interrupted him;

"Before continuing your words, sir. Here is the person's background you wanted me to check just earlier in the morning."

"All the details of information are in there, sir," — Lin reported with bright energy.

Veon immediately placed down the papers he was checking. He took Lin's report, that the background check he asked for. Veon expectantly hope that the place he came to before with her family was still her home.

Veon's expectations did not fail him at all. A gentle smile on Veon's face slightly appeared. Lin felt creep out and weird to see his boss suddenly smiling over a person's background check.

"This smells fishy.." — Lin thought to himself.

"Secretary Lin."

"Yes, sir!"

Lin got shocked. He thought his boss caught him thinking of such nonsense. But it wasn't that at all.

"What are my plans for tomorrow afternoon..?"

"Pardon..? Oh, that.. you'll be having a meeting with the M company and at four you'll—"

Before the secretary could finish his words, Veon quickly gave him an order.

"Cancel all my plans in the afternoon tomorrow. Don't leave any plans for. Secretary. Lin."

A wide grin spread across Veon's face, radiating excitement and happiness. It doesn't seem like a smile that gives you fear of death. But it still gave the secretary goosebumps down his spine. The secretary thought that was the weirdest smile his boss has shown. He couldn't believe his boss could have such a smile.

Until the day arrived for him to witness it himself honorably.

"Please, wait a minute!" — Veon anxiously said.

Lin watched his boss making a scene himself. The secretary thought that the young lady he approached would misunderstand his boss's actions as sexual harassment.

He hoped his boss's actions won't be misunderstood.

"Who are you..? Don't you know what you're doing is sexual harassment?"

When the secretary heard the lady's words. He had lost hope, instead of panicking and help them calm down, he choose to give up.

"Oh, dear.. Sir.. You're still troublesome after all.." — Lin thought as he slapped his forehead lightly.

                                                                To be continued