Chapter One

Noelle Santiago. The name itself made me want to bite off my ears. Why her? She isn't exactly a saint. Like T. Swift mentioned in her song, "She's better known for the things that she does on the mattress." Seriously, I've heard some rather disturbing news about her lady parts. I still don't get why someone as nice as Simon would ever go for someone as shallow as her. 

"Wow," I grinned, my cheeks hurt from smiling too much. In the couple years that I've known Simon, I never figured that cheerleaders were his type. Just sitting across from him and hearing him talk about Noelle's boobs, or any of her body parts for that matter, made me want to puke my guts out. Still, it's good to know that he's comfortable with sharing this piece of information with me. 

"So what do you think?" Simon asked snapping me out of the hate rant that I had going on in my head. 

"About?" I asked, still faking a grin.

"Should I ask her out or wait until she gets over her ex boyfriend?" he asked. 

"I don't think I'm the right person to ask," I said with a fake laugh. "Maybe Mitch can give you some relationship advice. Right Mitch?"

I turned to my friend who lay sprawled on the bleachers. He was covered in sweat and his chest was rising and falling rapidly. We were practicing our upcoming track meet. In the past hour, Mitch had pushed himself to the limit. 

I've known Mitch since seventh grade. We bonded over computers, cross country running, and music. He was a whiz with computers, but I had mad skills that even he can't beat. 

"I... think... you... should..." Mitch said between breaths. 

"Seriously?" I cried shooting Mitch a glare. He only shrugged. "She just broke up with her 'college' boyfriend yesterday."

"So?" Mitch said sitting up on the bleachers. "If Si doesn't ask her out now, then someone will beat him to it."

"Like who?" I snorted. "No one likes her. She's a bit..."

"Skye," Simon interrupted. 

"WHAT?!" I cried. "It's true. But if you're really into her, I think you should at least wait a week."

With that, jolted up and ran as fast as I could to the girl's locker room before anyone could see the tear that trickled down my face.

*****     *****     *****     *****     *****

"Did you hear about Noelle and Jake?" my friend, Zoey, asked as we took our usual seat in the corner of Matty's Cafe. 

"Only a million times," I said rolling my eyes. "Where's Kaleigh?" I asked trying to change the subject. 

Me, Zoey, and Kaleigh met each other our sophomore year. We got closer during our junior year and now, as seniors, we are inseparable. 

"She had to drop Mason home. His car couldn't start." Zoey answered flipping her blonde hair over her shoulder. "Anyways, I heard from Jake's friend, Thomas, that Noelle cheated on him."

"Why doesn't that surprise me?" I scoffed.

"Jeez, what's got you in a sour mood?" Zoey asked. "You're usually the one running the gossip mill."

"Not today," I sighed. 

"Hey guys," Kaleigh greeted as she took the seat across from me and next to Zoey. Her auburn curls bounced as she straightened up in her seat. "Sorry about that. I had to jump start Mace's car. Did you order?"

"Yes," Zoey answered.

 "Awesome!" said Kaleigh. "What'd I miss?"

"Nothing much," Zoey said eyeing me. "Except Skye's in a sour mood."

"Oh," Kaleigh said as she looked from me to Zoey. "What happened?"

"Don't look at me, I didn't do anything." Zoey held her hands in the air. 

"He likes her okay!" I yelled, getting some curious looks from other customers. 

"What?!" cried Zoey and Kaleigh simultaneously.

"Who's he?" Zoey asked the same moment Kaleigh blurted, "Who likes who?"

"Simon!" I said covering my eyes as I felt the tears prick my eyes. Wow. Never would I have imagined myself crying over a boy. "Simon likes Noelle!"

Zoey and Kaleigh didn't say anything. They knew that I've had the biggest crush on my friend, Simon, for as long as they have known me. The look on their faces made me want to break down again, but I've already shed enough tears for him. 

"Wow, that sucks," Kaleigh said breaking the silence. 

"Wait, you guys don't know?" Zoey gasped. "I thought you knew. Noelle cheated on Jake with Simon."