Chapter 3: Amantes

Hermione restlessly awoke from her slumber. Her mind rattled with nonsense and nightmares. The northern night was young, its chill only emphasized Hermione's loneliness, easing when she found she was no longer alone. Ciaran was awake, standing atop the cliff edge of the Isle they hid. Beyond was the black and unending expanse of the Atlantic Ocean. Its soft waves sloshed and reflected the aurora-borealis lengthening its great lights across the star-filled sky.
"It is unwise to be out at such a time, my lady." Ciaran said, still with his back to Hermione, "Who knows what haunts at hours like this. And not to mention... Friendship between witches and wizards weakens after nightfall."
"What does it then become?" Hermione asked.
"We'll see... Perhaps." Ciaran said silently.
"As cryptic as ever." Hermione said, ignoring Ciaran's warning and taking her place next to him, "There is one thing I wish to know... What does THE Ciaran think on nights like this?"
"Certainly nothing to do with swimming here." Ciaran joked softly, his sleeplessness never seemed to bother him, "And that is for certain."
"Do you know what I wonder about you, Ciaran?" Hermione said, "If you've ever loved anyone. I mean, what else keeps you going?"
"I've loved... and lost." Ciaran said, "As we all have. As alike my father... But also not as him. It is because of this... I make movements as I do."
"Spoken like a true Slytherin." Hermione half joked.
"You're in for a surprise about that." Ciaran thought, thinking back to Sloch and the sock that was still surely stuffed in the Sorting Hat's mouth.
"You're not your father." Hermione said, "You don't have to be. And it's your choice."
"I know." Ciaran said, "I've come to terms with that. But... there is still strength in my blood. There is wisdom in harnessing that which dwells in the dark."
"Is that the only thing that strengthens you?" Hermione asked.
"Something does." Ciaran said, his eyes meeting Hermione's. A pleasant chill tingled down her spine, "I've been wondering." She asked, shielding her eyes and attempting to hide her blush, "What was life like before you arose from the Great Lake?"
"We shall all see for ourselves one day." Ciaran said, "But now is not the time for that. Now are the hours of life. And one cannot feel alive without the nearness of Death."
"You sound like a professor I had once." Hermione said, "He was wise... Brave... and so... so much more."
"I'm glad you doubt not my abilities." Ciaran said.
"I've not the reason to." Hermione said, finding the courage to meet her eyes with Ciaran's again.
"How are your children, Hermione?" Ciaran asked.
"They are still in hiding within the Lake District." Hermione said, "As you know all too well, I need them safe for what we have ahead. But I don't know who's braver. Me or the Weasleys who, despite losing Ron, have helped me through this."
"It wasn't only them who lost him." Ciaran shared a sad glance with Hermione.
"We've all lost someone, as you've said." Hermione said, "And the best way to defeat death is with life. But with you, Ciaran, I feel... alive. I'm not sure what the feeling is beyond this ... but ... I'm not sure if I should be feeling it. It's irresponsible. It's-"
The stars shone in Hermione's eyes. The moon broke through the clouds and ignited her pale face in pure white light. Ciaran turned like a man possessed and took Hermione and placed a kiss on her lips. She responded likewise. Tonight was a night spent unwasted within each other's arms. Watching their woes fade as the stars slowly wheeled overhead until the warmth of sun's rise and tender touch.