Chapter 5: A Deal with Death

In the deep of a night lacking stars and moonlight, Hermione and the others stood before Dumbledore's grave. Hermione wished she could visit Hogwarts, to wander its halls and gardens again, high and low, to feel again the homeliness of its classrooms and common rooms, especially Gryffindor's, to pet the School's creatures, kind and even not, but circumstances forbade it. Regardless, Hogwarts stood proudly atop its hill, stalwart in its design, timeless, as steadfast now as it was throughout the countless ages. And, time willing, through countless more. Yellow, red, and white lights shone warmly around the castle. Precautions looked to be taken by the School's faculty to ensure its safety. But here, to Hermione, everything felt a world away. Perhaps this was for the best. As an evil felt to linger on this Island, sweeping and slithering silently between its trees. Too spiteful or proud to leave. An evil belonging to a Riddle without an answer. Regardless, a spell was placed on Dumbledore's grave by the Ministry to ensure no more unwelcome fingers would molest it. Something it had succeeded in. And with this, the spell opened the gravestone for Hermione. Here, she sought the only thing that had any glimmer of defeating Ciaran. Hermione placed her hand on the Elder Wand. Dumbledore's stiff and prying fingers seemed to soften, allowing Hermione to tenderly take the Wand in her own hands. Abi and especially Ordaine looked awestruck. Ron just wanted to go home, "So." He said, "What now?"
"The only way Cir- ... the Overlord could have come back, was to make a deal with Death." Hermione said, "And so, ... we must, too."
"You can't be serious!" Ron spat, "How would we even do that?"
To his shock, Hermione sprang around and rushed into the water. The waves suddenly heightened and smacked away any desperate hand that tried to stop her.
"HAVE YOU GONE MAD, WOMAN?!" Ordaine yelled in grievous concern.
"Suppose so..." Hermione thought.
Before she knew it, Hermione was blind, "I dreamt about this, as well." She thought. Hermione was deep under the drench of water so blue. It was like she had fallen into a cloudless sky on a summer's day. But quickly it grew dark and cold, so cold. Everything fell into the look of dripping oil, before the waves washed this away and Hermione found herself in a familiar yet distant place: Platform 9¾. Before her, was Death. And on its face was a knowing gaze,"You seek a bargain." it whispered, "Yet, a deal with Death is a deal Death always wins... sooner or later."
"You know what I want?" Hermione asked.
"I know what you need, young lady." Death said, "And so, it shall be given." Before Hermione knew it, the Elder Wand was gone from her hands and in Death's.
"The strength which lay in Voldemort's progeny is now gone." Death said, his crow sweeping down and spitting out the Resurrection Stone, "But the one so-called Ciaran remains still standing. I may take him, but only if his life is lost to the living."
"How is that possible?" Hermione asked.
"Ciaran has become a conduit of the Old Magic - of Ærpentine." Death said, "Rid him of this. Strike him down. Let the boy sleep... He has done his part."
"But what about me?" Hermione asked.
Death smiled and vanished through black smoke. In his place stood a face Hermione never intended to see again - Harry Potter. By his side was Ginny and his parents. With them also was Draco and Fred. And so many others Hermione could scarcely recognise from her surprise. Smiles were etched across each of their faces, one that would leave none of them. "You're doing well, Hermione." Harry said, "Keep going. It's nearly done. I'm proud of you." 
Hermione's eyes wetted and she stuttered over her words. But before she could speak, her eyes shot wide open. Hermione was gone from Dumbledore's Island, but found herself washed up on Vanessa's. Over her, were the disbelieving faces of Ron, Abi, and Ordaine, "Thank God!" They said, in near unison, their faces falling into relief, "And thank Merlin's beard!" Their faces suddenly dropped. Ron held Hermione close, "We couldn't find the Elder Wand, Hermione." He said, "That thing was our only chance... I think we're just about done-for."
"No." Hermione thought, her contented gaze turning westward, the sun was shining, "I don't think so."