𝟗-𝟓 ³

𝐈𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐢 "𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐢" 𝐋𝐞𝐰𝐢𝐬                        📍𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐠𝐨, 𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐨𝐢𝐬                                                      𝐒𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟔, 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑

𝐈𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐢 "𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐢" 𝐋𝐞𝐰𝐢𝐬
                        📍𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐠𝐨, 𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐨𝐢𝐬
                                                      𝐒𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟔, 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑

𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠..
ᶜᵃˡˡⁱⁿᵍ ᵒⁿ ʸᵒᵘ, ʲᵒⁿ ᵇ.

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐀𝐁𝐘 𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐉𝐄𝐂𝐓

    IMANI skimmed over the text message, and the messenger, with a puzzled expression on her face. She figured he would try and contact her because of the project. But the part that caught the young girl off guard was not the fact that he reached out to her so quickly, but that he still had her number saved. The text was simple. Come over I need help it read. After a second of contemplating, she simply liked the message and began to change into comfier clothes.

    Imani checked her Cashapp balance and sighed. The girl had been saving up for a car but all these unnecessary trips she had been making as of late were creating a dent in her pockets. She swiped out of the app and onto Samaj's unsaved number.

    A neutral expression covered her face as she waited for Maj to pick up her spontaneous call. The phone rang for a moment until an automated voice started to speak. Imani softly sucked her teeth and dialed again, she was sure if he didn't answer this time she would go right back to bed. On the third ring Samaj picked up. "Hello?"

    In the background Imani could hear the faint sound of a baby crying. The girl stifled her laugh before clearing her throat. "Wassup, you could send me some Uber money?" On the other end of the line Samaj rolled his eyes at her request. "That's it..? You couldn't text that shit?" The boy sounded tired, likely from taking care of a winey toy rather than immersing in his phone or a video game.

    "Nigga.., do you want the help or not?" She eventually replied, slightly amused by the obvious mood he was in."Whatchu think?" He spoke in a duh tone. "I think you're a fucking dumbass who needs my help handling a 12 inch piece of plastic." She stated. He caved, not feeling like continuing the conversation anymore. "Aight girl damn" he said whilst clicking out of the call screen to send over the money. "Sassy ass." Was all she muttered before she hung up the call and waited by her front door. Sending a quick thanks to the boy who had just send her some money, she ordered an Uber and waited.

    Imani walked up to the doorstep she rang the doorbell and waited, sniffling from the cool night air. After a minute or two she heard shuffling from the other side of the door. She backed up giving him space so she wouldn't be awkwardly close to him when he emerged. The brown eyed girl made eye contact with the boy who held galaxies in his eyes as soon as the door opened.

    Samaj looked away and gently grabbed Imani's hand, pulling her in the house and locking the door. Confused she shook his hand off and peered up at him "Maj.." she trailed off, giving him a really look as she noticed the baby had already calmed down. Just before he could explain, a quiet sob came from upstairs. Maj groaned clearly annoyed that the crying had started back up. "You hear that Mani, that's why I wanted you here". Imani laughed at his distress, finding his struggles amusing.

    Maj lead the curly haired girl up to his room where she saw their fake baby on the floor under a small pile of clothes. As she picked up the baby she kissed her teeth saying "Bro are you fuckin' dumb? You can't just leave the baby on the floor." The boy scoffed looking away, not wanting to admit she was right. "Mani I don't know how many times I gotta tell you ass I don't know what I'm doing, this shit hard as hell." Imani rolled her eyes before sitting down on his bed with the baby cradled in her arms.

    She decided to ignore his comment and scan the room looking for the supplies Mr. Mariano had given them. On top of Samaj's nightstand she found the bottle and a small babydoll outfit. Shaking her head she handed Manman to Maj, who had joined her on the bed and grabbed the baby items off the nightstand. Imani briefly connected eyes with Maj who looked to be waiting for her guidance.

    "Did you feed him since you got home?" The brown skinned girl asked, tilting her head at him. Samaj tucked his bottom lip into his mouth as he tried to remember the events that occurred once he got home. "Nah." He finally concluded before he looked at the girl beside him. Imani rubbed her forehead in irritation, no longer finding his boyish ignorance amusing.

    "Aight so all you needa do is put the bottle in his mouth every once in a while, and change the diapers." Imani instructed whilst yawning. The tanned boy wasn't certain he would remember, but he nodded anyway to avoid a lecture from Imani. "I really don't see whatchu called me for, the instructions are literally on the bottle." Imani stated after examining the baby items closer. Samaj scratched his neck awkwardly, sensing her patience with him growing thin the more tired she got.

    Due to her Mom's job hours, she could usually stay out late and make it back home quietly without her mom knowing and questioning her.
Imani's mom was a pediatric nurse at a local hospital. It was rare that she was home anytime before midnight so she rarely worried about time. After a surprisingly comfortable moment of silence, the curly haired girl picked up her phone to get ready to get another Uber. Her eyes landed on the time briefly while clicking on the little screen, and seeing it was a little past midnight the girl's heart dropped. After contacting the Uber she replied to one of the many messages her mother sent around a few minutes ago, and placed her phone in her lap.

    She turned her focus back to Samaj next to her realizing that he had put the baby down on a folded blanket, and was scrolling through his phone as well. "Maj I gotta go it's late and I'm tired as shit." "Ight Mani" he said before he got up and started to walk her out. "Be safe mama." He tiredly mumbled once they reached the car door. She nodded at him with a close lipped smile before getting in and closing the door, as the car drove off. The familiarity of him walking her out and watching her get in the car safely had Mani cringing.

    She did not like this at all.

-
Hi guyssss!
We were really cutting it close to the two week mark with this chapter but I'm glad we got it done on time!

I'm also wondering if you guys prefer longer (1500+) or shorter (<1500) chapters? (For reference this chapter is around 1100 words)

Anyways any important announcements will be made in this little authors note section so all 9-5 viewers are updated.

But thanks for reading <33

-Storyfiles