22 - Jealous

A/N I had some much fun reading your comments in the last chapter. This story starts before Bet On You, but it will overlap. If you are a fan of Josh revisit chapter 41 on New Years Eve.

Baxter's jaw clenched as he watched Jimmy and Ivy laugh across the room. She was beautiful in her gown. On Sinclair's arm, she looked like she belonged.

Tate stood beside him. "They look perfect together. She told me they were just friends, but there's something there."

"He said he didn't like to look weak."

"There's nothing weak about Jimmy Sinclair."

"After the story about him and Kasper, he's making sure it looks like he won."

"She'll be another of his broken hearts. I warned her."

Baxter felt the sting of his sister's words deep within. "Hypothetically, what would people think if Jimmy married a girl like her."

"What do you mean like her?" Tate narrowed her gaze at him.

"You know, the middle class."

"You're a snob. Jimmy isn't the marrying type."

"Hypothetically, if he were. Would she be welcome to sit on committees and, I don't know, at these events?"

They were attending a benefit to support the ballet. Anyone with deep pockets attended. The event included a performance before the cocktail party with dancing and a silent auction. The Kanes had donated a week's stay at the house in Aspen. Baxter shivered at the memory. Could he return to the mountain house without remembering the taste of sweet cream on her skin?

Tate's answer brought him back to the present. She shrugged. "Why would she want to?"

"It's expected. Hasn't Mother been pushing you to get involved?"

Tate sighed. "Yes, but. To answer your question, everyone will think this hypothetical girl was only after his fortune which is ironic because I can see two or three women who definitely didn't marry for love. Four."

"Love." Baxter scoffed. "You thought you had it. Does anyone ever really know?"

He watched Ivy toss her head, with her musical laughter. He rubbed his neck as his skin remembered her laugh when she nuzzled into him.

"Fleas?" Tate asked. He glared at her. His sister bit her lip. "I think when love is real you know. It's the imposter you need to worry about."

"Imposter?"

"When you convince yourself it's real."

Baxter rubbed her back. "I'm sorry, Tate."

She put his arm around his waist. "No, you aren't, you never liked him."

"I'm still sorry he hurt you."

"It's the past. Almost six months ago, but who's counting?"

Baxter felt uncomfortable. He hadn't been counting, but six months was a long time to still smell her and taste her when he shut his eyes.

"Should we say hello?" Tate jarred him back to the event.

It was the first charity event of the fall social season. Ivy no longer worked for Kane Properties, although he had asked her to continue with the labor negotiations. They were close to a deal. The mood had changed between the two sides and Philip Kane was happy with his son. So happy, Baxter felt ready to unveil his idea for multi use buildings.

He looked over at his best friend, as he led Ivy to the dance floor. Baxter had watched her turn in place with Kasper, but with Jimmy she waltzed. How much time had they spent together? Jimmy could charm a bee out of stinging him. Did his game go awry? Had they fallen for one another? Baxter turned from the dance floor and walked to the bar. They didn't serve quality whisky, which was just as well since he wanted to knock it back and not sip it.