Kabanata 3

"The patient is experiencing post-traumatic headache and may also feel tension headache caused by muscle tension and stress

"The patient is experiencing post-traumatic headache and may also feel tension headache caused by muscle tension and stress. She may occasionally feel throbbing in her head if it's triggered," the doctor cleared his throat. "Refrain from making her run, especially since she just woke up. She is still under observation and needs company. Avoid giving her stress and minimize exposure to loud noises and bright lights."     

The doctor is explaining to Sixto. He looks at me while listening attentively. I avert my gaze when the doctor turns to me. I also shift to the side, covering myself even more with the comforter.

"And if she doesn't remember you, I've already mentioned the possibility that she may have lost her memories due to the impact of her fall."

Sinabihan pa siya ng doktor ng mga dapat at hindi dapat gawin. At mga paalala bago ito umalis. Nanatiling nakapikit ang aking mata. Dama ko ang presensya niya sa likuran ko. I heard him sigh. I also heard the window closing before the door opened and closed again.

Habang nakapikit ang mata ay hindi ko namalayan na tumuloy na pala ang tulog ko. Hinawakan ko ang aking ulo habang bumabangon.

"Does it still hurt?"

I turned toward the small sofa in the room. Nakaupo doon si Sixto habang may binabasang papeles. Lumapit siya sa akin. Napalunok ako.

"Your head... does it still hurt?"

I parted my lips, ready to respond, but hesitated and closed them again. I wasn't sure if I should answer. I wasn't sure if it was right to entertain his question, given that he doesn't like me. Or even talk to me.

Unlike earlier when his presence seemed to ignite by anger, now his demeanor was calmer, though his eyes remained cold. He was clearly establishing some boundaries between us. Nakapasok ang kanyang kamay sa bulsa ng kanyang itim na linen pants, the other holding a somewhat thin piece of paper.

Umiling ako. "H-Hindi na..."

"If that's the case, follow me."

I pursed my lips. Sinalat ko ang aking labi. We kissed. He kissed me earlier.

"Don't make me repeat myself."

Tumalima ako. Una siyang lumabas at sumunod ako. Dire-diretso din siya sa pagbaba ng hagdan. Ako naman ay naiwan pa sa taas dahil sa sugat ko sa tuhod. It was cleaned and bandaged already.

I moistened my lips before gripping the railings of the grand staircase. May pag-iingat kong unang binaba sa unang baitang ang may injury kong tuhod. Sinunod ko naman ang wala. Step by step, maintaining a tight hold on the railing to support myself.

"Ang bagal mo," anito.

Galing sa aking paa, bumaling ako ng tingin sa kanya na nasa baba na. Matigas pa rin ang mukha nito habang pinapanood akong naghihirap.