Chapter 1: Another one bites the dust

Kimetsu city. A city of peace, love and prosperity, set in the land of the rising sun. Everyone here was happy.

Until nightfall came. Unfortunately for this beautiful Japanese city, it existed in a world plagued with flesh-eating demons. The more humans they ate, the more blood they consumed, the stronger they got. Even though these monsters were unable to walk in sunlight without burning to ash, they were still large threats across the world. And if it weren't for a secret organisation, the demons would've wiped us out by now.

It was a clear night like any other in Kimetsu city. The city centre itself had become a sleeping beast. Only a few people were still milling about. The city was at peace.

But not for a group of panicking demons. Eight demons were running through the street trying to get away from the demon slayer that pursued them. The demon at the back of the group, a female demon, let out an ear-splitting shriek of pain as her legs were severed above the knees. The remaining seven demons left her behind.

"G-guys, don't leave me here! Come back and help me!" the demon tearfully begged as her severed legs disintegrated on the ground behind her. For some reason, her legs weren't regenerating. Why?

She rolled herself over into a sitting position to look at the demon slayer behind her. The slayer was mostly obscured in shadows, but this slayer's figure was visible; a petite female, possibly a teenager. Her Nichirin Katana was the only thing that wasn't hidden in the shadows. The light pink blade, the flower petal tuba and the delicate hand that held it were details the demon registered in mere seconds. The demon looked down and notice the kunai blade laced with wisteria poison jutting from her stomach.

'Crap! Not good, not good!' The demon's thoughts raced as she weakly reached up to grip the kunai. She got ready to pull it out.

The sound of metal slashing through flesh can be heard. The world started to spin. The demon then saw her own headless body as it begins to turn to ash in the street. She'd been decapitated.

The demon slayer finally stepped into the pool of light thrown onto the pavement. She was petite, at least 15 or 16 years old and was wearing a purple-tinted demon slayer uniform with a knee-length pleated skirt, a white cloak and some white knee-length lace-up boots. She had a hood up, locks of black hair were flowing from under the hood.

Those dark Lilac eyes were the last thing the demon ever saw before she fully turned to ash....  

As the demon's remains continued to disintegrate, the demon slayer looked to where the other seven demons had been running. They were gone.

'Dammit. My sister won't be pleased' she thought as she returned her katana to its sheath. She pulled the sleeve to her right arm, exposing her comm-bracelet. She turned it on, a girl's voice coming over the speakers.

"This is Ozaki. What do you wish to report."

"Ozaki, it's me..... I killed one of the demons, but the rest have escaped" She replied in a disappointed tone.

"Hey, one demon is better than nothing. It's your first night in Kimetsu city anyway, Shinobu said not to worry" Ozaki replied in a reassuring tone. "Besides, tomorrow is Saturday,  aren't you going to your sister's coffee shop?"

"Ah, crap. you're right. I better get back to shinobu. Catch you later, Ozaki." And with that, she cut the connection, picked up the kunai blade and leapt high into the air at a speed that the human eye couldn't see.

Meanwhile, just a few blocks down the street, the remaining seven demons had taken refuge in an alleyway behind a ramen shop. As they stood huddled around a stray cat, ready to eat it, a shadow was cast from the mouth of the alley. They all turned to find someone wearing a crimson-red hoodie, cargo trousers, combat boots and a strange fox mask on their face, which worked in conjunction with the hoodie to conceal their face. They were wielding a Nichirin katana with a pitch-black blade.

"Wha--? Who's this?" one demon said out of annoyance and fear.                                                                  

"Graarrgghh, just another street Ronin" the apparent leader of the group replied dismissively.    

"I don't know.... most street Ronins don't carry Nichirin weapons; this one has a katana..... one with a black blade, no less...." a third demon warned.                                                                                      

"Who cares? I'm starving and that cat ain't gonna cut it. I want that Ronin!" The fourth demon drew a knife and charged at the alleged Ronin, who who stood calmly. The demon suddenly saw himself fly past the Ronin and out into the street. He then gasped as he saw that his head had separated itself from his body. His remains turned to ash before he hit the road.

The other demons stared in shock and fear. They hadn't seen the ronin move at all when they beheaded their friend. The leader of the group stared into the eyes of the ronin's fox-mask. The way he moved, the way he stared coldly at them..... he wasn't a street ronin.... they were facing a powerful demon slayer.

A demon slayer with the speed and strength of a Hashira.

The demon slayer wasted no time in his attack. Muffled slightly by the mask, the voice of a teenage boy uttered a spine-chilling sentence.

"Hinokami kagura! Sun Halo Dragon Head Dance!"

The fox-masked demon slayer performed several fluid slashing strikes as the alley lit up with the solar flames emitting from the blade in the shape of a Japanese dragon. Once the solar flames died down, the demon slayer looked down at the disintegrating demons. Only five had fallen.

"Dammit, where'd the sixth one go?" the slayer muttered to himself as he readied his katana. Silence filled the alleyway. The slayer watched, listened and waited.... until the world around him darkened, fading as if it didn't exist.

That's when it appeared, a single, thin, string-like silver line glistening in the air; the opening thread. The demon slayer's eyes followed the opening thread from  the tip of his sword to the  neck of the demon. He then saw the demon clinging to the wall. As soon as the slayer locked onto his prey, the opening thread became taught, a single thin, straight silver line.

"Found you!" The demon slayer exclaimed as he and the demon leapt at each other and clashed mid-air. The body of the demon, his severed right-forearm and his severed head flew out the entrance of the alleyway and hit the pavement with the loud crack of breaking bones, rolling onto the road until it came to a stop. A large splash of blood was soon to follow. The demon-slayer stepped out of the alleyway, sheathing his katana as he did.

"Another one bites the dust...." was all the demon slayer muttered as the demon's remains slowly turned to ash. Satisfied with his work, the lone slayer reached into his pocket and pulled out a smartphone and some earphones. As he pulled his hood back slightly to put the earphones in, one could glimpse a lock of burgundy hair and a pair of Hanafuda ear-rings if anyone happened to look.

Now with the earphones in, the demon slayer put some music on his phone, stuffed it back into his pocket and leapt up on top of the nearest building, disappearing into the Night. 

Author's note: And there we have it ladies, gentlemen and everything in-between! Chapter 1 is over and done with. I'll update as and when I can. feel Free to sound off your thoughts in the comment section.

Peace out!