Kevin

Mother strokes my hair and suddenly I'm 9 years old again, laying under the soft covers. The sapphire twilight creeping in from the tall and long windows, the intricate designs reflected in the shadows.

"There was once a community of beautiful women. With luscious auburn hair and long fiery nails, they loved to live in packs."
I listened, intrigued and alert of every detail.
"They were considered very very powerful."
"Even more powerful than us?"
Mother stopped her stroking, and looked at me "Yes. Even stronger than us."
She continued stroking my hair..

"They were almost impenetrable. The men belittled them since they were all women. They underestimated their strength and power, but in truth they possessed ancient secrets and procedures which they kept confidential. They were called the Kindras, witches who possessed the Enigma."
I listened to her as she told me how they possessed a power, called the enigma..

"What's their power?" I wondered.
"They did everything with their eyes. Had the ability to control the minds of people and compel them to do things against their will. As well as remove any living being simply by a leer, having an intention and uttering a word. They can also manipulate time rate by either slowing it down or making it swift. Do you realize how powerful that is?"

I shook my head yes, "That does sound very powerful. So what might be the word? Do you know?"
Mother looked solemn, "That's the secret. Only they know as it's revealed to their lineage through dreams passed by their dead ancestors' souls."

"That sounds scary."
She laughs, "Well, you shouldn't think too deeply about that. Right now you should sleep, you have to get-

///

"GET UP!" Mother's voice contorted into a younger voice, loud and urgent.

I woke up with a heave, finding Drusilla standing at the threshold of my bed.
"Leave. Let me sleep." I groggily reply.

I adjust the covers and pillow and let my head sink into them, but of course she didn't stop there.

She switches on the lights.
I grunt.
I hear faucet turning and the creak of the door, but pay no heed. My sleep was far too beloved to me..

It goes silent for a while, and then.

"BLOODY HELL." My heart beats fast from the coldness of the water. She poured the bucket all over me, which did the job. Should've worn a shirt.
"It's eight in the morning, for lord's sake." I slam the clock.

"Yes. I'm well aware. But are you even the least bothered about what has been going around since last night?" She demanded. Sounding very upset, not like her usual cheery self.

"Did someone die? Did Father get into yet another feeble argument with Uncle. I couldn't care any less." I retort, splaying back on the bed.

"It's about the Kindras." As if spikes coated her voice my heart pierced. Just like yesterday night.

I sat up straight, alert now. I couldn't escape it anymore, I had to listen to the name which has been haunting me since that day.
"What is it? They have been abolished for eons now, so what?" My voice rasps.

She sits down, as I give her more space. Her emerald hair bright under the sun, her face contorted with worry.
"What is it." I urge.

"There has been an intel from a legionnaire, I suppose you heard that part yesterday.."
I nod yes.
"Well, there seems to be a girl from their kind existing in the mortal world."

Suddenly she's back in my mind. Her beautiful eyes casting spells to my heart, my soul entirely hers. Her scent so intoxicating, her bare skin chill beneath my warm fingers, she leans down to k-

"Kevin?" Silla's two fingers snap. 
"Huh.." I come back to the present. Not again. As if she's smiling somewhere, knowing how my heart still often betrays me.

"Were you even listening?"
"Yes I was, continue."
"There's a girl in the mortal world, and it's presumed that she's the one who has the enigma in it's complete form. Which means..."
"She completes the prophecy." I voice her thoughts.
"Yes. Exactly."

I recall the time mother had told me one night, it plays vividly in my head as if no time had passed.
"I remember, so this girl is our catch?"
"Pretty sure she is. Has to be her. She had the same auburn hair, from what the legionnaire admitted to." She rubs her chin in thought,
"It makes sense if you look at it. In all these years no one or nothing has been revealed to be a Kindra. She is the one."

My mind starts working at a steady pace, connecting every knowledge in my head to form a picture and precise conclusion.
"But it could very well just be another girl with auburn hair? How is that proof enough?" I voice out my concern.

"You're right. But the king is suspicious now, and he will find out if she truly is or not. In all these years how is it not possible that none of our men pointed out a ginger and said it's a Kindra? There has to be something to this girl for the legionnaire to think on the contrary, don't you think?" She looks at me, studying carefully.

I simply shrug. Although, this was something to ponder over considering it being a far fetched thought.

"Have the other kingdoms any whiff of this information?" I asked. Hoping not.

"I don't think so. His highness have kept it confidential and strictly ordered no word to be said outside the grand courts."
I nodded in approval. It's better that way for now. Either ways neither of the kingdoms would be delighted to hear this news, as it only benefits us.

As for the mysterious woman, I wonder who that could be.