Avana

The unsettling notes didn't stop. They kept on increasing day by day getting even more eerier than the previous one. Dread twisted and settled itself in me, my ignoring could only be so much. It was hard to at this point, with every detail known to this secret person or forces.

Theo tried his best to calm my concern but I noticed how he was failing to keep his fear hidden. My focus on my studies faltered, my mind occupied by the situation at hand. What exactly did I possess?

The blank paper stared back at me, smooth and neat. The clouds darkened outside my window, the curtains rustling..A chill breeze brushed against my neck, it was about to rain.

I couldn't think of anything to write. To let my fingers take heed and create a masterpiece. It was the longest I had to think to write today, nothing connecting in my head. I conjured beaches, fields of flowers, the feel of soft sweater beneath fingers, even the extravagance of a chandelier dripping its crystals, but nothing.

I came short on words and thoughts. Empty.
I attempt to write a sentence but end up tearing and crushing it into a ball.

A fire blooms at my temples, the pen slips from my hand instinctively. My breaths come in ragged, suddenly sweat starts pooling at my nape.. the chill no longer there.

My lids hurt from being shut so tight but something prevents me from opening them.
"stop..." my voice leaves my mouth without my accord. Not sure to whom I was saying..

I see black robes. Claws. Some unintelligible whispers...
As if on cue the thunder bellows like a cavernous beast.
"STOP..." I feel hot and sweaty all of a sudden. It's so warm..so so warm

A battle. Blood. Earth shattering cries.
My temple starts to pain excruciatingly but the images don't stop.
They became more gorey. More havoc arose. Swords. Hungry fangs. Cold air whipping-
And then I break free.

Gasping and lunging for air as if my lungs squeezed in on themselves. The cold air from outside whipped past the curtains aggressively spraying in the rain as if reflecting the images.
I take deep breaths, only registering what I had done to my desk. The blobs of water stained the paper, the ink crying. It was scratched like a cat might've but then the blood on my fingers was proof I had done it, despite believing the more plausible case.

Just when I'm about to shut the windows I hear a gasp and see mama standing at the threshold.

//

"It's been two weeks?" She sounded horrified, rightfully so.
"Yes." I didn't hide the grim in my voice.
She looked heartbroken, afraid but also not surprised. A myriad of emotions passed in her eyes until she broke the silence.
"Why didn't you tell me?

"Because I wasn't sure myself..what would I even tell? It would've simply made you worry."
She sighed, her frail hands encompassing mine, red fingers under the bandages. The rain had stopped now, a drizzle lightly pelting the roof.

"You didn't trust me enough with this information? If something had happened to you in these weeks, I would never be able to forgive myself for not protecting my daughter.." The creases in my mom's eyes deepened.

"Theo knew everything. He would've been there to take care if something happened. I just..couldn't bring myself to tell you." I held her hand firmer, giving her comfort.
"What happened to you back in the room?" Her voice turned steel.
"It was odd. Scary. Foreboding as if.." I ruminated the dark images and the anguish it caused during the fit. It was alike being buried deeper with every fleeting image. Almost like it was illegitimate to even view them.

"They felt historical." My thoughts ran faster by each second. I came out of my stupor when mama placed her hand on my arm. Assuring me through her eyes.
"Come here." I didn't waste time and was in her arms already. Feeling safe and comfortable.
My mind still going back to the incident, it felt somehow even more important and concerning than the notes. Something familiar swirling in my soul, like a bright ember.