PAINT IT RED : pt I

"Morning everybody," Lisbon swept into the room with a breeze that smelled faintly of rose-hips

A dash of rouge on her cheeks and lips caught Ronnie's eye.

Casting a surveying glance around the CBI bullpen to ensure her team was wholly present, the delicately statured supervisory agent lifted her cellphone indicatively. "I just got a call from Minelli, new case just came in. Victim's a junior vice president of some fancy company in town. Jane, Cho, you're with me. Masters, you're going to stay and meet with an FBI liaison who's coming in later to consult. Evidently there was a pretty pricey painting involved in the incident, and the fed is some kind of an art expert."

Distractedly, Ronnie flashed a thumbs up and sipped from her coffee as Cho dragged himself from his chair, tugging his jacket from the back of his seat. He moved with barely a hitch in his stride as the injury that Ronnie had accidentally inflicted on him barely two weeks ago was finally beginning to heal.

He paused at Ronnie's elbow as Jane scooted past him and hurried after Lisbon. Dropping two fingertips to the scratched surface of her desk, Cho gave her black coffee a long hard look. "Have you eaten breakfast?"

The greasy counter of stale bagels and goopy oatmeal in the lobby of the hotel she'd been staying at flashed to mind. "Yeah, no, that continental breakfast is an affront to my palate."

Cho's eyes rolled and his lips pursed to a flat line. "Ronnie, we've talked about this."

Abruptly, Rigsby muttered something about needing to grab a yogurt and promptly fled the bullpen.

Leaning in from the hallway, Lisbon waved an impatient hand. "Cho, let's go."

Ronnie swatted her partner's hand away from her desk. "You're being paternal, Cho. I'll order lunch in a couple of hours."

His eyebrows lowered, dark irises darting back and forth between her eyes as though one of them would twitch and give away her lie. "Are you still punishing yourself?"

Jaw tensing, the blonde gestured to where Lisbon still stood waiting. "I fully plan on eating, Cho. You're gonna be doing Lisbon's personal errands if you keep keeping her waiting."

"Fine." Cho jerked on his jacket and leaned away from the woman's desk. "We'll be back soon." Posture stiff, he stalked out of the bullpen, right past Lisbon.

The boss hooked a thumb back towards Cho. "He okay?"

Ronnie lifted her coffee again. "Oh he's fine, I'm just on his nerves again."

"You must have a frequent flyer punch card by now." Lisbon combed her fingers through her hair and fluffed some of her ends in her reflection in the glass.

Chancing another sip at the scalding beverage, Ronnie shrugged one shoulder. "Only two more for a free coffee."

Lisbon took one last second to fold down her collar. "Please, Masters." She ran a smoothing hand down the front of her shirt. "We both know Cho buys you coffee every morning."