Chapter Eighteen

A Meeting with Umbridge

"Professor Snape," said the shrill, irksome voice, "I believe it is your responsibility to keep your house in order, is it not?"

Umbridge peered over her clipboard, her round eyes cold and calculating as she fixed her gaze on Snape who stood rigidly before her desk as a shroud of shadowy robes, a harsh black blemish comically out of place in her pink, frilly, over-the-top office.

There had been a fair amount of tension between them since his assessment; it was difficult to have his dignity take such a hit in front of his students, though the same was true for all the professors at Hogwarts. They had almost all indulged in deliberate recalcitrance in some form or another as an act of silent protest.

Snape's expression remained impassive as he stood in the stuffy, pink office, only a seemingly undetected flicker of annoyance flashing in his dark eyes betrayed his sentiments. He inclined his head slightly, acknowledging her statement. "Indeed, Undersecretary, the welfare and order of Slytherin House is, as always, my priority. How may I assist you?"

Umbridge tapped her quill against the parchment on her clipboard as she eyed him, seeming to relish the opportunity that the conundrum had granted her to exercise this small authority.

"As you know, Mr. Filch was indisposed last night due to the consumption of a poisoned confectionery. It has been brought to my attention that some...miscreants from your esteemed house are responsible for the misdemeanor involving our caretaker."

She paused a moment, interlacing her red-tipped fingers over her desk. "I've specifically questioned those with...notable records of such conduct, yet none of them has turned up anything useful."

Snape caught a glimpse of the clipboard on her desk, noting the names listed alphabetically—his entire house of fifth through seventh years was listed with six "notable" students' names highlighted and struck-through, suggesting evidence of her unfruitful approach.

"It is quite possible that this is a first-time offender, so I'm afraid I will need to question all the older Slytherin students to find out who purchased this 'Fever Fudge'."

He raised an eyebrow and gave a slight nod. "Yes, well, while I'm afraid I am not in the habit of monitoring the dietary habits of my students, Undersecretary, I do fail to see how such an incident implicates Slytherin House."

Umbridge's smile tightened, betraying a hint of annoyance at his reticence and sarcasm. "We both know that your house is notorious for its cunning and resourcefulness; and beside that, I have it on good authority that Slytherin students were behind this."

Snape asked in a slow, measured tone. "And what authority would that be, Undersecretary?"

Umbridge leaned forward in her chair, her toadlike features smugly smiling up at Snape's. It made him want to kedavra her into next Tuesday. Good thing he'd had so much practice with occluding such murderous intent in his years serving the Dark Lord.

"Mr. Filch himself saw fit to inform me. He claims that Slytherins were the ones who left the confectionery for him, without informing him of its contents."

"I see..." Snape replied with feigned deliberation. "However, I find it prudent to inform you that Mr. Filch is not known for his keen observational skills. I would advise against putting too much stock in his accusations."

Her mask was beginning to slip as she stiffened in her chair.

"I have spoken with all the other Heads of Houses and none of them have turned up anything of consequence, which leaves Slytherin."