Chapter One

As everything does it started with a dream, to be honest it was a very confusing dream with lights and people. Those people who seemed as if I knew them all before, not knowing what to come.

It started out with a spherical room the colors changed every second, red to an orange to an indigo to sunshine. I was standing in the middle but something seemed different; almost it was in my peripheral view. People started appearing up and I had no clue who they were except these two people came up. I can't remember exactly who they were or why they were there but everything is now just a blur. They kept coming closer and closer until my body absorbed them. After I opened my eyes, the world had awoken.

So I guess it was a pretty good morning, but that day just felt weird. You know those quite damn awful days. I woke up to the sunshine slapping me in the face as my feet hit hard wood freezing floor. The date I can't remember, but it was the time of year when flowers were peeking through the frost and I started seeing ants on my wall. Getting ready for school is so physically exhausting in itself, as if you lost those 6 hours of sleep.

I got up from my bed and I went to the bathroom to take a shower. I wake up to the same old hair, never boring and I'm really glad about it. And it's genetic, can't find out how it is.. But it is. Just grows in that way I guess. I turned the knob away from the snow and away from the lava to get the temperature just right. I hopped in and washed up. When I was done I dried off glancing over at my veins. They looked different than usual. They were a bright purple. Not a blue or a green but just, purple. I decided to shrug it off.

I started to dry my hair, its curly mess angers me. I popped in my black earring to give some more edge as I looked in the mirror. It was the strangest thing, my deep chocolate eyes have gained a purplish tint and my right was lighter than the left. Now it was getting weird. I couldn't shake the fact that my eyes look crazy and so did my veins. I slipped causing the ground the slide from beneath me as I held my head trying to shake it off. I slipped on some shades and put on my uniform as I needed to get out of the house maybe it would clear my mind. I bolted out of my room forgetting to turn off the TV I bolted past my parents in a flash as I saw they just looked at me and then looked at each other. I grabbed a pop tart and raced down to the stop where I see my best friend Erin wait for me every single day.

"Hey! What's up?" Erin asked from the distance,

Her hair was in a ponytail like every day as I am never surprised

"Erin, you seriously need to check this out," I told her as she leaned in close enough that I could hear her breathing. I flipped over my wrist and had my pop-tart in my mouth so I could use the other hand to point. "Look at my veins their purple, even though their muted it's a difference right?" My voice muffled through the pastry as her eyes didn't look that impressed.

"Are you sure it's not just circulation," Erin said very skeptical. I rolled my eyes as I used one hand to bring her head in close and another to move my sunglasses out of the way so we made eye contact. Her eyes got larger than mine were as she handed me her phone and in the reflection my eyes had gotten more intense the left was a bit more vibrant and the right was lighter but they got more purple. I fell on my ass as Erin stuck out her hand to help me up but gladly I caught her phone and handed it back to her. I fixed my shades to hide my eyes.

"What the hell is that Lukas?!" she yelled at my face as I didn't know what to say back.

"Like I know, that's why I showed it to you," I said grabbing the pop tart out of my mouth. We started to walk onto the bus; her face was still puzzled as the bus took its motion. "Look, maybe we're both just sleep deprived and need to get some more sleep.. But why would we both notice it... " I said sinking into my seat

"Maybe you got to close to some radioactive stuff and turning into super Lukas" Erin gasped laughing into her seat. She found it funnier than I did.

"I'm not an idiot you know..." I addressed poking her face

"Ah! Don't touch me superman, you could get me infected!" She laughed even more, and more annoyingly.

"Oh, so now I'm contagious. Well then how about I just get really close to your face and ...breathe...very...slowly" She shoved me so hard I hit the window with an astonishingly loud thud.

"Oh god Lukas! I- I'm really sorry!" She exclaimed laughing between breaths.

"Sure you are" I gasped admitting a little snicker.

"But I really am wondering what it is, like that's highly unnatural and odd to be honest."

"Well you were always an honest person."

"Shut up..." she laughed, "but is it a little wrong to be worried about you?"

"Calm yourself, if I was in pain, or if I was seriously worried about it, you'd be the first to know, but seriously thanks for worrying. Just try not to worry" I turned to her smiling.

We were at school.

"DUDE, you look like that new sick villain in this comic I got!"

"Shut up Carter. That might be a compliment from your eyes-"

"-BUT NOT YOURS! GET IT CAUSE-Y-Y'KNOW!"

Carter's pun was atrocious.

"You seriously annoy me..."

"That's my job, plus you don't know anyone else in this class so you'll be stuck with me fore-"

I moved desks.

"LUKAS! Come Baaaaaaack! I'm Borrreeed!" I decided to ignore him because all he was going to do was talk, and my time isn't really worth wasting over him, but in all honesty I was starting to get freaked out about my eyes and veins. The more I looked the more vibrant they became. I'd occasionally pull out my phone to check, and I'd be relieved or terrified, but I never showed it. A few more periods passed, and I even tried to go check with the nurse, but she just declared

"You are a growing boy! You have no circulation because you're very long and long. Everyone has purple veins, and if your eyes start to itch it could be pink eye, so make sure to come right down if they itch."

I'm still shocked that woman actually has a degree. After a few hours I got worried, my vision got blurry and it was very hard to see. All I could see was the muffled bright light coming from my wrist. I staggered my way to the restroom. I grabbed the wall and looked at myself in the mirror. I grabbed my face really hard shaking it, over and over again, trying to shake the sense out of me. I snapped up and opened my eyes, shocked. They were normal again their usual chocolate brown. I glanced down at my veins, the usual muted greenish blue. My eyesight was normal again. I was relieved. I wasn't radioactive, or superman, or a "cool new villain". I smiled at myself and fixed my hair. After I took a step, the world shook like an earthquake. I felt... so weird. Like my body was trying to change itself, or morph into something else. My hairs were standing up straight and my back hurt, my vision was blurry again as my head was pounding. Everything felt like it was getting smaller. Then it just stopped... all of a sudden. The world was back to the way it was. I shook my head, but something felt different.

"Well that's od-" I said, wait was it me? It couldn't have been me that was- that was a female's voice. I turned to face the mirror, and it wasn't me. Or maybe it was, but I was a girl.