C H A P T E R 🎄9

R O S E A N N E

When I returned to the Dew Drop Inn, all I wanted to do was collapse into bed and take a good, long nap. Of course, the constant racket of the ongoing renovations made that notion completely impossible.

Miles was down and snoozing before you could say lickety-split. I wasn't going to be able to have a moment's rest, however. And I sorely needed it.

I gave up after twenty minutes of fitful tossing and turning. Grabbing my phone off the nightstand, I dialed my mother's number.

I inwardly groaned as it rang. I half hoped she wouldn't answer, and I wouldn't have to go through the humiliation of asking to stay with her.

"Hello?"

Fuck. Here goes nothing.

"Hi, Mom," I said. Judging from the background noise, she was sitting outside on the porch, as usual when the weather was tolerable. "How are you?"

"I'm fine," she said suspiciously. "How are you? Is there something I can do for you, dear?"

I sighed. "Mom, you remember those renovations that I was talking about? The ones that Lisa's paying for?"

"Yes, that's so nice of her. The Dew Drop Inn is long overdue for a makeover."

"True. But those renovations make it very hard to sleep. As in impossible."

"Oh, I see. That is a pickle. Well, you know you and Miles are welcome to stay here. I have the room, and I guarantee there won't be any late-night hammering."

"Thanks so much. I really appreciate this. I promise we won't be a bother, and we'll clean up after ourselves—"

"Roseanne, dear, stop fretting and get your butts over here. I'm cooking spaghetti. And I'll make some cannoli, too."

I perked up.

"Cannoli? But, Mom, that's so ... decadent."

"Well, I guess I'm in a decadent mood."

I smiled in spite of myself.

Well, that wasn't as bad as I'd feared it would be. In fact, it was almost pleasant.

"Sounds great, Mom. We'll be over in a bit."

I allowed Miles to sleep until we were all packed up to leave the hotel room. Then, I gathered him in one arm, pulled my luggage along with the other, and stopped by the front desk.

I set Miles down since he was awake enough by then to stand by my side.

"Hey, Janie," I said. "Sorry, but we're going to check out early."

"Oh, I understand, dear. The renovations and all." She laughed helplessly. "Sorry about that."

"Hey, it's not your fault. Lisa kind of went and did it without asking you first. She has a habit of doing that."

"Well, it was a shock, but a good shock. And she means well. You know that she means well, right, Roseanne?"

"Yeah," I said. "But you know what they say about the road to, the road to—"

I looked down at the sleepy boy beside me.

"The road to the H-E-double-hockey-sticks is paved with good intentions." I dug the room key out of my purse and handed it to her. "Here you are."

"Thank you. And say hello to your mother for me, will you?"

"I will. Thanks again."

I took a taxi from the Dew Drop Inn to the gallery. It wasn't a long walk, but I didn't want to worry about the luggage and Miles. The taxi dropped us off in front of the gallery, and I finagled both our bags and my child out somehow.