C H A P T E R 🎄7

R O S E A N N E

That jerk!I stormed out of the diner with legs stiffened by anger. I was now extra glad that Miles was with his grandmother that morning. It meant I could give full vent to my roiling emotion.

How could she be so smug?

The worst part is I don't even think she's doing it on purpose. She just naturally assumes that she knows what's best for everyone.

I get that she's smart and successful, but I am, too.

Why can't she take that into account in her grand scheme?

The fact that I was apparently the last one in the entire town to know about her Christmas festival idea got my goat. I was just brimming with frustration and impotent rage.

I knew she was right. She who had the gold made the rules. And Lisa was the great big dragon hoarding the gold in this case. My little hobbit ass could only hope to sneak around and catch some trinkets before I awakened the great beast.

But still, it irked me that she had all the power. I'd gotten used to being listened to at my job and taken seriously. I just wanted some respect from Lisa.

If she didn't respect me, then I would end up thinking differently about our recent moment of passion.

I loved Miles so much, so there was no way I would ever regret the first time.

But the second time? I'd regret it if she kept acting like an insensitive jerk.

It felt like she was treating me like one of her subordinates, and that didn't fly. It would never fly, not with me.

I walked a good distance in the cool air, calming myself down. Checking out the ongoing Christmas decoration deployment operation certainly raised my spirits.

One of my favorite things Greenfield did was also among the simplest. Every gas lamp in the historical district, every parking meter, and every reasonably cylindrical surface was wrapped in red or green tinsel.

Feeling a little better, I turned the corner and headed toward the gallery. My phone buzzed in my pocket just as I arrived at the door. I dug it out and groaned.

Lisa: You ran off before I finished. I scheduled an appointment for you. You're due to meet Iris West in five minutes at Cuckoo's Cocoa Hut. She'll be in charge of the decorations for the festival. You're going to help her with logistics.

Fucking. Lisa.

I turned on my heels and headed in the opposite direction.

At least the meeting was with one of my favorite locals. No small town is complete without its own wise woman. Iris was Greenfield's unofficial matriarch, and every year she turned downtown into a winter wonderland.

Iris was old when I was a kid, so I had no idea what her actual age was now. She still got up and down those ladders like a teenager and brought a vibrant, gorgeous enthusiasm to her work.

Iris loved two things. People and Christmas, and it showed.

Over the years, I'd spoken to Iris many times, but this would be the first time we were meeting in an official capacity. Sort of.

At least Lisa had made a smart choice in hiring her for the decorations.

Already, my wheels were in motion for this damned festival. And I'd hoped to spend some time on my work accounts today, in addition to my action plan for the gallery. So much for that.

Oh, well. I'll just get some work done on my laptop when the inn's renovations keep me up all night again. Win-win, I guess.

I arrived at Cuckoo's Cocoa Hut, a bakery and café a short distance from Main Street. Iris, of course, was an absolute darling. As soon as she saw me, she smiled and waved enthusiastically.