Season 04 - Chapter 02 (17)

********************

Time Jump~

Gregory Fletcher's POV~

The jungle air the following morning was muggy due to heavy rainfall last night. Now, though, the sun was trying to shine through the moist canopy to create a spotlight on the Monkeys' campsite. Austin, Lianne, Alayna, and I conversed, whereas Isaac and Geoffrey sat by their tree.

"I was thinking we give them a test," Austin divulged. "I'm not sure exactly what kind of test, but giving them a good one would let them have a chance to prove they're not against us anymore."

Alayna shrugged. "We could ask them again if they know anything about the other Gems or the Gems in general. They weren't cooperative last time, but maybe they will be this time, right?"

"Well, if no one has another suggestion, it seems we don't have any other choice but to give that one a shot. Take a minute to grab what you need. I'll get the Snakes, and we'll visit the Birds."

When Alayna left to gather a few essentials and Austin approached the restrained Isaac and Geoffrey, Lianne chose to stay by me. "How do you really feel about the Snakes roaming free?"

I sighed and slung my bow's strap over a shoulder. "I'm... nervous," I admitted, "but if you think about it, they have to be let go eventually, or else they'll be tied up for the rest of their lives. We can't live our lives with a good conscience if we force them to live their lives like caged animals."

"Even if they kidnapped me and got Shania and Wilfred killed?"

"I know what they did, Li. Initially, I wanted them to be tied up forever, too, but when I talked to Austin last night, he mentioned Wilfred, and... he likely wouldn't want us to treat them this way."

My best friend smiled emotionally. "I'm glad you haven't lost your mind like I've lost mine, Greg."

I shook my head, dark eyebrows creased. "You being traumatized doesn't mean you've lost your mind, Li. I know that because you're the reason we and the Birds are trying to go back to the way things were before we lost Wilfred. Hell, you've always been the reasonable one, haven't you?"

The dancer attempted to speak but cried instead. She embraced me, and I watched Austin pull Isaac and Geoffrey to their feet. I had been observing the Snakes all morning, and the college student truthfully wanted things to transform for the better. I could not say the same for Isaac.

Time Jump~

At the Birds' camp, the other Monkeys and I were greeted with respectful smiles from Susie and her people. Quite quickly, a conversation began between Austin and Susie, and Velma talked to Geoffrey while Alayna spoke to Isaac. Juanita called for me to join her at the bigger workbench.

"Everything all right?" I quizzed.

"Perfect," the Hispanic woman grinned. "I just wanted to show you this." With a gesture of her hand, she revealed a small bowl that was half full of an opaque liquid the color of a ripe lime.

"What is it?"

"Well, during our dancing last night, Alayna brought up your arrows to me, and I had the idea of making them a little more... deadly. In other words, I had the curious idea of making this toxin."

"Toxin?"

"Yes, it's a toxin, so don't touch it with your bare hands. Just take your arrows and dip them into the poison, then let them sit for a while. They'll soak it up and be ready to take down anything."

Inquisitively, I seized several of my projectiles and set them in the fatal fluid, leaning their shafts against the bowl so its tip could make contact with the toxin. "So, how do you know this works?"