Chapter 46

It was weird for everyone. For the first few days at least, as if Ophely had become a part of their little gang, and she had her place in it, working hard for it to be hers even when absent. And absent, she was.

Absent physically at least, she was still there with them everyday as she sent them photos from her country and her family throughout the French celebrations of Christmas, little Crhistmas villages in the city centre, all festive and colourful. She would share street foods with some explanation, like roasted chestnuts in a paper bag, or the infamous warm wine. Though one thing the boys realised was that she was freer, as seen by the way she held herself in the videos she sent. Ophely wasn't as scared to be seen in public anymore.

Jeonghan had asked her about it, how she felt in another country, how the rumours were close to inexistant.

"It hasn't been translated much yet, not a lot of coverage. Korean Carats and fans are keeping it quiet." She had told him one evening on call, "And those problems don't affect fans out here as much as they do in your city."

That little bit at the end had hurt Jeonghan. His city. It wasn't hers. She wasn't calling Seoul her city, nor was she calling Korea her home. She was at home in France, it was where her heart resided. Though how could he not understand her? Korea hadn't given her much more than annoyance. He would understand if she chose to remain in France and not come back, to work or continue her studies with them. And it seemed, now that they trusted one another, that their body swap situation wasn't a problem anymore.

He shouldn't think about it, he would jinx it.

Jeonghan stood on a path near the Han river that morning, after having called Ophely to know how things were going to make sure she was okay. She was, he had nothing to worry about. Ophely knew how to take care of herself and her family. He wished he, like her, could be with his family for the special day, but he couldn't, his job didn't allow him to. He just had a few hours free before they were at the studio to rehearse for the night's show. And then all of the following ones. Winter was a tiring season for idols, with award shows and special stages to prepare. Though he enjoyed it, the fact that it was taking a toll on everyone didn't help keeping the morales up.

Ophely would have help if she were there, to talk about everything and anything with all of them. Distraction from stressful situations was something that she had unconsciously been amazing at in the past year. Random as her questions were, Jeonghan enjoyed being able to talk about something other than practice, dance, singing and technical aspects to performance. She would ask about the candies and foods she would see others eating, about what one might hold with them and which she didn't know, about the people that surrounded them and what he thought they did as a job.

Stuffing his cold hands back into his pockets, Jeonghan breathed out and started walking again back home. He was to meet the boys at half past ten before they left to work for the day. He exhaled cold air as he walked, slightly trembling from the cold getting to him. How could he have forgotten his gloves? He didn't know, though he was suffering now because of it. The gust of breeze didn't help his state as it pushed his beanie back a bit. He quickly pushed it back down to hide the little strands of white blond hair from sight, it could easily draw attention to him when he needed none.

He shivered and accelerated his pace to be back to the apartment before turning into a huge chunk of ice, though he knew he would look beautiful in that shape with his pale skin and now pale hair. Ophely had already told him that looked again like a winter elf. Ironic knowing that he was easily cold. Just like he was now. Regretting even the choice to leave the warm kitchen to walk in the peace offered by the gentle fall of snowflakes and empty walkways near the river

"Are you an ice cube yet?" The telltale voice of his friend cut through the entrance when he arrived. Hoshi watched him from beyond the entrance, looking over the living-room couch over to the man in black gently removing his shoes in front of the front door.

"Nearly." He replied laughing, "Though I must say I was close to. My fingers can't move anymore ..." Jeonghan pried his scarf off as he arrived at the coat rack. He stood there a few moments to bask in the warmth of the place, slowly gaining back feeling in his fingers.

"We've got tea in the pantry if you like." Joshua said not far from the armchair, scrolling through his own phone with tea on the side.

"Thanks. I'll make a teapot for those who want."

"I'm fine, but have you seen the pictures Ophely sent not long ago."

"Not yet, though she did tell me that she would send pictures of food she had made."

"And her cat." Jeonghan laughed at that, Ophely had started sending them all pictures of her cat throughout the days she was gone. And Hoshi loved those, saying how the asocial cat looked like a small little panther, close enough to a tiger as it could get. He had rejoiced when she had sent him a picture of her cousins' striped cat, the image of a tiger in a cute little lap furball.

Jeonghan made his way to his room to change out of his uncomfortable, though warm, clothes after starting to boil the water for a pot of tea; he was sure another one of the boys would like a warm drink too before leaving. He dressed in silence, quickly and quietly. Ophely's words repeating in his mind. His heart slowed when he dwelled on it. How he might not see Ophely again for a very long time if she chose to stay in her home country, then it was going to be the end of this little adventure with them changing bodies. It seemed, right then, that it had stopped. Neither had moved away from their own bodies in a while. However long that way, he didn't know, he didn't count. Did she? Was Ophely counting the days in between their exchanges? Why did that bother him so much ...

Jeonghan left his room, combed his hair out of his face in the bathroom and went to brew the tea he so dearly wanted to warm up. The kitchen was calm, save for the welcome presence of Mingyu, Wonwoo as well sitting with his phone out at the island. He could hear Hoshi and Seungkwan bickering in the living room one door away, but he didn't go there. He stayed to make his tea and offer some to his friends.

Still, the thought of his future not including Ophely and her random bursts of creativity and calm insight into the working of the performance aspect of his and the boys' life was going to be greatly missed. But if she was happy on her side, studying back in France and being close to her family, then he was going to be happy for her. Though, again, he told himself, it wouldn't be for over nearly a month before she could be leaving. Right now, it was the holidays, so she was going to join them back to graduate from school and see where her studies would go, and make a choice for herself. And then, and only then, could Ophely choose to stay or leave. Right now, she was temporarily far away.

He had to trust her. He trusted her, maybe more than she trusted him. She was a bright girl for her age and full of curiosity that would bring her far. She was strong and willing. Anybody would be happy to have her in their rank, whether a professor or a manager.

"We're leaving soon, Jeonghan." Mingyu told his quiet friend, Jeonghan hadn't realised that he had been silently sipping his tea looking at the blank wall. "Our manager sent a message, he'll be here in a few minutes to pick us up."

"Right, I'll clean things up before then." He went to pick up the dirty kitchen ware that had been littering the table moments before but came up empty. Things had already been moved away.

"No worries, lunch is already made and packed, Seokmin helped me do the dishes." Mingyu picked up his friend's empty tea cup and put it into the sink to be cleaned later. "You just need your bag and then we're all going down."