Night Gig

As an alarm clock beeps, a young man named Mike wakes up and turns it off

As an alarm clock beeps, a young man named Mike wakes up and turns it off. He puts some pills into a drawer and does push-ups. "Hey (Y/n), could you do me a favor and wake Abby?" Mike asked, and she smiles. "Yeah, sure." She said, and Mike smiles at her. "Thanks." (Y/n) walks into Abby's room and over to her pillow fort. "Abby? Abby sweetie?" (Y/n) asked, but she didn't answer. (Y/n) leans down and pats Abby gently on the back. "Abby." Abby groans a bit. "Abby, come on, it's time to get up." (Y/n) said. Abby opens her eyes and rubs them tiredly with a slight groan. "You ready?" (Y/n) asked. "Yeah..." "great, get up and get dressed, we'll be waiting for you once you're ready." (Y/n) walks out.

Mike's co-worker Jeremiah is reading a book called, "Dream Theory" "And though the dreamer remains asleep, he walks through memory as if experiencing it for the first time anew, no longer a passenger but an active participant." He puts down the book and chuckles. "This stuff for real?" He asked. "Some people think so, guess it depends on what you believe." Mike said. "Summer of '82, I traded a mint condition Cal Ripken Jr. rookie for a used copy of "Missile Command". That card's probably worth 800 bucks now. I wish I could participate in that memory and actively kick my own ass." He looks at the book. "Can I keep it?" He asked. "No." Mike grabs the book.

Later Mike is in line for ice cream and sees a young boy by himself. "I would like the walnut fudge, but I want the fudge on the side because I don't want it to melt the ice cream; and can I get some whipped cream on top and 3 cherries?" A woman ordering said. "Coming right up." Cindy said. Mike and (Y/n) walk up. "Hey." He said. "You want your usual, right?" Cindy asked. "Uh, yeah." Mike said. "So, when are you gonna bring your other sister by? We got this new flavor, Rainbow Explosion. I bet she'll go crazy for it." Cindy said. "That does sound pretty awesome." (Y/n) said, and Cindy smiles at her as she prepares Mike's drink. Mike sees a man roughly grabbing the child by the arm and dragging him away. Cindy hands (Y/n) Mike's drink and she takes it. "Thanks." She's about to hand it to Mike but he was no where to be seen. She glances around quickly. "Mike?" She keeps looking, becoming more frantic. "Mike?!" She suddenly spots Mike running toward the man. "Oh no." She quickly follows him. "HEY!" Mike shouted,

then tackles the man and beats him up in a water fountain, and (Y/n) quickly grabs his left arm, trying her best to stop him as she takes him off the man and holds him back. "Stop, stop!" Later, the two are waiting to be called. "Number 27?" A woman asked. Mike and (Y/n) go to someone's office. "What is your deal, Mike? What are you, some kind of... hate case? You beat up a man in broad daylight; in front of his child." Steve said. "That was a mistake, um... it was a misunderstanding, I-I thought-" Mike stammered. "Just look at your employment record: Tire Zone, sales associate, 2 months, terminated. Media World, custodial staff, 1 week. It's like you're not even trying here." Steve said, and this angered (Y/n). "He clearly is trying, if he's here asking you for help." She said angrily. "I'm just trying to figure out who you two are, Miss (Y/n) Sch-" Steve stops, then looks at the siblings in confusion. "Hmm?" Mike asked, and (Y/n) raised an eyebrow at his odd behavior. Steve looks at them for a bit longer, then stands up and walks to a counter. "Coffee?" He asked. "Sorry?" Mike asked. "Uh, would you, would either of you like some... some coffee? I made some coffee." He replied. "No." Mike said.