The Dementor

"You awake, Twinies?" Andrea whispered, quietly closing the twins bedroom door behind her.

"Yeah." Both of them whispered back to her. They were both cuddling in Veronica's bed, their huskies curler up together on the carpet next to the bed.

Andrea tiptoed over and got under the covers with them. She lay on Veronica's otherside. She joined in on their cuddle.

They were silent for a moment.

"Are you nervous?" Andrea whispered. "To go back to Hogwarts?"

They twins didn't answer right away.

"A little." Victoria finally sighed out in response.

"Newspapers aren't exactly going to be writing about anything else until he's caught. And every article will just be a reminder to everyone who our father is." Veronica said, her voice tight.

Andrea propped herself up slightly on her elbows so she could look at the twins. She couldn't see much on the darkness of the room.

"Anyone who thinks it matters what your father did is an idiot." Andrea said, trying to reassure them. "You don't even remember the man. It's like what I always tell Rick. We aren't defined by who are parents are."

The lingering awkwardness that always accompanied the mention of Alaric's father hung in the air. It was harder for Victoria now that she knew Alaric personally and had even begun to regard him as a friend.

He was person everyone knew to be a killer, a killer of wives, but because their was never sufficient evidence he was a killer that was never caught.

"What do you think he's planning? Why now? After all these years?" Veronica whispered.

"Maybe he was fed up of being in there." Victoria whispered.

"Maybe it took him that long to figure it out." Andrwa whispered. "No one's ever broken Azkaban before. It was supposed to be impossible."

"That just makes me more -" Veronica didn't want to say . . . to admit . . . she was afraid. Terrified to her core. Her father was the only thing that had ever truly terrified. She didn't want to look at his face and see any similarities. She didn't want to be anything like him. She didn't want to be a monster. "- nervous."

"Don't be." Andrea said with conviction. The twins could hear the growl behind her voice. "I'd stop him before he could get close. He won't hurt you, either of you, I won't let him."

"What if he doesn't want to hurt us?" Victoria persisted in a whispered voice.

"I know you want to believe it Tori, and I wish there was something, anything, that suggested he could be innocent but all the evidence points in the direction of him being a mad man. I know it's hard bit you can't let the fact that he's your father cloud your judgement. It could get you killed." Andrea whispered back imploringly.

Victoria was silent as she stared up at the ceiling. She was the only one who even had a shred of hope that her father was innocent. After all, he had never had a trial. Can someone be truly guilty without a trial? The small, rational part of her, knew that she was grasping at straws but was it so wrong to hope?

Veronica never wanted to speak of their father. She'd be content to live the rest of her life without ever hearing his name again but Victoria was different.

She missed him. She didn't know how it was possible to miss someone you can't remember, but that was why she wore her leather jacket everyday. When she had first found it in the attic, she knew who it must of belonged to. Ted would of never worn any leather jackets. She'd felt so drawn to it even though Veronica couldn't stand the sight of it.